New 27" imac

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has got the new 27" imac and what there first impressions are?

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As far as i know, they won't be shipping until January.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I already have one. ^-^" Couldn't wait for them to ship so I canceled my order and picked one up at the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nice. None of the stores here in the US have any except the show models from what I understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
First impressions then ;)

HAHA. Let's just say it's a lot of Mac. :D

Haven't been putting it through it's paces quite yet. I did do some light picture editing on it. Took well over 300 pictures for the family Christmas get together and a few movies. Unfortunately the bulk of it was done on my MBP as I was constantly on the go.

I did notice that it was pretty zippy and could keep up with the SSD that I installed on my MBP from OWC. Considering this iMac has the fusion drive.

I would say that it is definitely worth the money. Just wished that they had the 3TB version available. I had to settle for the 1TB as they didn't have the 3TB at the store.

I've seen some pretty impressive benchmarks on geekbench with various upgrades to the iMac. For example 32GB makes a big difference. I've also seen some people had put in a six core Intel Processor into the iMac and the score for that just puts the quad core to shame.

I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of being able to upgrade the iMac but seems pretty hard to do so? I might actually take a swing at it after warranty is over. :D Still waiting on my 32GB to arrive in the post.

I'm pleased with my purchase. I would say that it was a good buy for people that need a desktop machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Haven't been putting it through it's paces quite yet. I did do some light picture editing on it. Took well over 300 pictures for the family Christmas get together and a few movies. Unfortunately the bulk of it was done on my MBP as I was constantly on the go.

I did notice that it was pretty zippy and could keep up with the SSD that I installed on my MBP from OWC. Considering this iMac has the fusion drive.

I would say that it is definitely worth the money. Just wished that they had the 3TB version available. I had to settle for the 1TB as they didn't have the 3TB at the store.

I've seen some pretty impressive benchmarks on geekbench with various upgrades to the iMac. For example 32GB makes a big difference. I've also seen some people had put in a six core Intel Processor into the iMac and the score for that just puts the quad core to shame.

I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of being able to upgrade the iMac but seems pretty hard to do so? I might actually take a swing at it after warranty is over. :D Still waiting on my 32GB to arrive in the post.

I'm pleased with my purchase. I would say that it was a good buy for people that need a desktop machine.

That Fusion Drive seems to be a awesome addition to the iMac's. Be looking forward to them coming out in the MBP's.
Keep us up to date once you hit Photoshop and some serious CPU usage. What are the Benchmark differences ?? I could Google but I'm lazy today and you know where to go lol

I know it takes a lot to impress you CR so they must be onto a good thing here and YES I'm happy they are starting to phase out the Optical Drive and for the price of a few cups of coffee its best off as  over the last 10yrs really didn't get them right did they . . . . .

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Fusion Drive seems to be a awesome addition to the iMac's. Be looking forward to them coming out in the MBP's.
Keep us up to date once you hit Photoshop and some serious CPU usage. What are the Benchmark differences ?? I could Google but I'm lazy today and you know where to go lol

I know it takes a lot to impress you CR so they must be onto a good thing here and YES I'm happy they are starting to phase out the Optical Drive and for the price of a few cups of coffee its best off as  over the last 10yrs really didn't get them right did they . . . . .

Benchmarks for the new iMacs. 64-bit.
Benchmarks for the new iMacs. 32-bit.

Make your own fusion drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.2ghz i7m, 8GB RAM, 750HDD, Rad 6750 1GB
27" iMac

Glad to read that you think this is a good buy. :) Ordered one a couple of weeks ago as a consequence of iMac 24" dying, but miffed that they are not going to be avail until sometime (when not known) in Jan :Confused:

Good to hear that the Fusion is worthwhile too, as I went for that option.

Rob K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.