Resizing images taken with the iPad?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I travelled light the last couple of days,
needed an image of a set-up and captured it with the iPad, had to send it via email,
Not a serious job but a friend said it was still too large for the "average" recipient

I normally resize images with another program on the PC but noticed iPhoto and PS Express could not do it

Is there another app that will do it on the iPad?

Regards,
Gary

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, can't help with the specifics currently - sold my iPad - and am too senile to remember specifically how I did it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a number of photo apps on my iPad 2 - the one I use for re-sizing is Photogene (click the name for a description - a $3 app @ the moment) - when exporting an image, an option is provided for re-sizing. :)

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Tks for the heads-up on Photogene,
Does it allow you to choose the amount of pixels on the longest side?
I'm looking for one where I can say change the longest side to 900
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
resizing to the longe edge of an image is exactly what "Reduce" does.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
resizing to the longe edge of an image is exactly what "Reduce" does.

Thank you for your prompt reply,
The reason I asked is that the figure of 900 on the long side is what is required on one of my photographic forums and the 900 seems to fit most places OK
One of the programs I have, PhotoRaw will resize and change to jpeg but has set sizes when resizing, either too long or too short,
Ok for viewing but too large to send

I guess I would not be asking this if my laptop was not getting worse and new Mac is at least a few months away
As it is, I'm backing up every day in case of catastrophic failure, and on two drives
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's also worth looking at ArtStudio.

It may seem like more than you need but I've been 'caught short' away from my Mac or a PC and there's little that can't be achieved in ArtStudio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you for your prompt reply,
The reason I asked is that the figure of 900 on the long side is what is required on one of my photographic forums and the 900 seems to fit most places OK
One of the programs I have, PhotoRaw will resize and change to jpeg but has set sizes when resizing, either too long or too short,
Ok for viewing but too large to send.............

Hi Gary - I've attached a screenshot from Photogene showing the export re-sizing options, which are fixed to the ones shown; 900 across does not seem to be a choice. I'm surprised that a photo forum does not have its own re- sizing options?

Good luck and let's know your solution. :)

image.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
From ArtStudio - free form image resize

image.jpg

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Hi Gary - I've attached a screenshot from Photogene showing the export re-sizing options, which are fixed to the ones shown; 900 across does not seem to be a choice. I'm surprised that a photo forum does not have its own re- sizing options?

Good luck and let's know your solution. :)
Thank you for posting this reply,
The actual app looks very good
Yes, the photo forum just expects everybody to have their "photoshop" and PC or Mac doing the work
Starting to appear like I'm asking too much from the iPad I guess,
After all, it cannot be expected to have the processing power of a "real" computer
I do have programs that do the resizing easy but for Mac or PC only

Regards,
Gary

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
From ArtStudio - free form image resize
Well that app has a whole bunch of options,
After having a look, I was able to download the pdf of their user manual,
A quick read appears like it will do the job,
The only thing that does look like it may be a stumbling block is the maximum allowable
size
Where as my longest side with the D700 is 4256 on the long side
But I guess their maximum allowable size is for up-sizing an image
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ArtStudio will open pretty much any size image but for editing it resizes to it's max canvas of 2448 x 3264 and below.

Photoforge 2 can handle huge images and also has freeform resize options

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
ArtStudio will open pretty much any size image but for editing it resizes to it's max canvas of 2448 x 3264 and below.

Photoforge 2 can handle huge images and also has freeform resize options

Much appreciated,
Thank you for all your help,
Initially, I did visit the App Store but there are some many photo apps it is just overwhelming,
Regards,
Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.