Transferring iTunes onto new macbook pro

Reaction score
I have a problem with transferring my iTunes library over between computers. I just got a new macbook pro, and we currently own another macbook pro. As our first one just crashed, we lost a lot of our itunes content but luckily we had it all backed up onto a portable hard drive. So we updated my new macbook's itunes using the hardrive (as opposed to home sharing or migration assist), and all the music files came onto my computer. Now, I can find them in the Finder by going into Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music and they are all there, but they do not appear in my iTunes library window. However when I click on a song in the finder, it pops up on itunes and starts playing, and from then on it remains in the itunes library.
Help?? What can I do to make my songs appear? I guess an option is to click on every song individually in finder but this is going to take a very long time as I have a big library. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.
Looks like you just added them to the folder structure of iTunes.

Easiest way to get songs appear is goto Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Music, then select all in the folder and drag them into the iTunes window and they should all come up as songs in iTunes.

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.