Zagg invisible shield on ipad, AppleCare claim?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My question relates to owning a new ipad and placing a zagg invisible shield on it. The discussion with my wife was as follows:

what happens if we have to make a claim with AppleCare while we have the zagg installed. Are we out the 40 dollars because we have to buy a new screen protector?

Does the ipad glass scratch easily? I argued that if the ipad scratched really bad, we could make a claim and get a new ipad/screen, and were only spending 10 dollars more. This way we can enjoy the retina display completely without a screen protector over it.

Thanks for listening.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hello everyone. My question relates to owning a new ipad and placing a zagg invisible shield on it. The discussion with my wife was as follows:

what happens if we have to make a claim with AppleCare while we have the zagg installed. Are we out the 40 dollars because we have to buy a new screen protector?

Yes - unless it's one that can be removed and re-installed.

Does the ipad glass scratch easily?

No

I argued that if the ipad scratched really bad, we could make a claim and get a new ipad/screen,

You're not going to get a new iPad screen if you scratch it. Damage caused by you has nothing to do with any manufacturer's warranty.

Go out with a key and run it down the paint job on your car and see how far you get trying to get them to re-paint it for free.

and were only spending 10 dollars more.

Where are you getting $10 from?

This way we can enjoy the retina display completely without a screen protector over it.

That you can. Though the screen protectors also don't show your oily fingerprints near as bad, which means you won't have to clean the screen as often.

Thanks for listening.

No problem.

(Moved thread to appropriate forum)

OP
Q
Reaction score
My argument was the fact that we are spending 40 dollars for a screen protector that we won't get back if we have to make a 50 dollar AppleCare claim. So I said to my wife, were only spending 10 dollars more for a new ipad, were not out the 40 dollars for a screen protector. Thank you for confirming that.

I know we won't get a new ipad for a scratched screen. My feeling was that if the screen did scratch we could deal with it until we have to make a claim for an accidental drop/spill. We have young children and my wife isn't the most graceful with electronics. I'm glad you confirmed the glass won't scratch that easy. I think I'll take chance without the zagg and save some money. Thanks again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The apple warranty does not cover anything other than manufacturer's defects.
Basically, if it quits working through no fault of yours.
It will not cover an "accidental" drop/spill.

Have no clue where you're getting $50 from.

OP
Q
Reaction score
It's AppleCare+. It came out a short while ago. It covers two instances of accidental damage in a two year period. It's a 50 dollar deductible per claim. You only have 30 days to purchase AppleCare+, and you have to have your product assessed at an apple store to make sure the product didn't incur any accidental damage in that first 30 days.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you really feel that there is a strong possibility of an accident occurring with this iPad (thus your reason for purchasing the Applecare+)...then don't get the Zagg Shield.

Both a Zagg Shield and Applecare+ are two products that protect an item against accidents. BUT...this protection works against the purpose of each other. The Zagg Shield is to protect against scratches, nicks, chips, etc...but isn't that what the Applecare+ is for?? If the Zagg Shield does it's job (protecting the display)...then you don't need Applecare+ (at least for display protection). And vice-versa...if Applecare+ does it's job...you don't need the Zagg Shield.

Yes...of course Applecare+ covers more than just the display...that's why I mentioned NOT getting the Zagg Shield...that's what the Applecare+ is for.;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh, something new, had to go check it out...

Guess I better get up with the times.

But I'd personally go with the Zagg for $23 - link and a case - in lieu of the $99 insurance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't use any kind of screen protector on my iPad 2 and it's been fine -even in a household that includes a 4 and a 7 year old who routinely play with it.

That said, I have seen the Zagg screen protector and it's awful. It's not smooth to the touch (i.e. it's kind of tacky) and it's not completely transparent (it has an "orange peel" effect to it). I wouldn't waste your money - just get the AppleCare+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Will the iPad screen scratch easily? Depends on user and environment. My mom got a screen protector put on hers, let the grand kids use it and the youngest took a ball point pen to the screen. it damaged the protector, but not the screen. She had the protector replaced for free. She had the Zagg.

If you use a Zagg screen protector and it has to be removed because you have to send the iPad for service, just call Zagg. They are the easiest company to work with to get replacements. I have had the one on my phone replaced 2 times so far this year and it was a matter of telling them what happened and they sent me a new one. Didn't even charge shipping.

I don't agree with CWA, but it comes down to personal preference. If you go with the HD version, it is very smooth and is very case friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I made the stuff for ZAGG and I don't even use it. A product originally designed to protect helicopter blades during war ends up on your iPad/phone. It would be something completely different if it were designed for your electronics from the get-go. Go with the AppleCare+ for the $10 difference, it's worth it. That material has better use in other areas, not for protecting screens, imo, though I stand behind it in just about every other are you can use it on. The orange peel effect is common when roles of material are too tightly rolled up while held in storage. This tight storage causes the adhesive to stretch, and when it gets rolled out for cutting, the surface area coverage of the adhesive is greater than the area of the polyurethane. When I sorted rolls, these "tight" rolls never got higher than a grade "C." Believe it or not, companies would order specific grades due to lower costs. It's physically NOT possible for a grade A(absolutely perfect in texture feel, clarity, and contamination) to turn into a grade B or lower material after cutting. So, if your material shows sings of orange peel(literally feels like/appears similar to an orange peel), it was shipped out that way. Ask for a refund...ZAGG is actually pretty good with customer service.
That's my 2 pennies for tonight. Needed a break from shoveling snow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Needed a break from shoveling snow.

Ahhh A white Christmas I could only wish. Im sitting in 41c/105.8 F today and for the rest of the week :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Ahhh A white Christmas I could only wish. Im sitting in 41c/105.8 F today and for the rest of the week :(

If only I was storng enough, I would throw you all my snow. It's been snowing well for only one day and I already had enough. It's the good packing snow too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If only I was storng enough, I would throw you all my snow. It's been snowing well for only one day and I already had enough. It's the good packing snow too.

HAHA No idea what good packing snow is :p But i would love to see a pic of your snowman if its that good lol

Sorry to highjack OP :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.