How to transfer MP3s from an old Sony MP3 Player to a new iPod?

Reaction score
Hello and Merry Christmas to all!

I bought an iPod Shuffle to replace my wife's 2003 Sony Walkman Psyc MP3Player. She has 180+ songs in the MP3 player and I can't find the way to transfer these files to my iTunes library. I have an iMac running OSX. The file extension on the Sony MP3 Player is .oma

I tried iTuneMyWalkman but couldn't get it to work. I also read about SonicStage and TMPGenc but couldn't get those to work either. Any suggestions on how to get this music off and transferred to the new Shuffle? Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where did the music originate from that's on the Walkman? In other words, do you still have the original CDs? If you have the original music, it can be copied to iTunes and from there synced to the Shuffle.

Also, you might want to read through this: LINK

There are several methods for converting *.oma to *.mp3. You'll have to do some searching to find which will work best for you. Once you get them converted to mp3, they can be copied to iTunes where they can be further synced to the Shuffle or another iPod.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply; the music originated from original CDs but we no longer have the CDs available. I tried downloading TMPGEnc but it looks like the software is not compatibel with Mac. I also tried downloading SonicStage and couldn't get it to open. Last I downloaded a music file converter from app store called "my music converter" it was $3.99 and the only file it doesn't support is .oma

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you need to keep the Walkman around. I did some searching for you and it's a common problem with older mp3 players, tape players, and the like. If you have access to a Windows machine you might have better luck finding some software or a codec to convert the music to mp3. Sorry, I don't have any better ideas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.