Photo editors/digital image pro

Reaction score
I realize there is no DIP for MacBook. However, I purchased a MacBook Air mainly for photo editing and I can not seem to find an editor that matches the user friendliness and extent of editing possible with DIP. It's taking so long just to figure out how to do a border on an image! Have checked out Elements, Pixelmator, Aperture, Gimp and a few others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Having never used Digital Image Pro, I can't relate to its user friendliness. However, I find both iPhoto and Pixelmator very easy to use. It seems you've tried all the popular packages without liking any of them. After those you mentioned, there's nothing left but the more expensive photo editors. If DIP is really what you wish to use, you can always run Windows in a virtual machine on your MBA. VirtualBox from Oracle is free but you would still need a legal copy of Windows.

C

chas_m

There are LOADS of gorgeous and inexpensive photo editors for the Mac. My suggestion would be to use iPhoto for organizing (Aperture would work well too) and basic editing, and check out something like Snapseed (Mac App Store link), which is just fantastic (hopefully Google won't screw it up, they just bought it from Nik Software recently).

While I consider "borders" to be more of a "toy" feature (like endless "filters" from the likes of Instagram), Snapseed offers what I think is the best of both worlds: seriously good enhancement features, and yes, some filters and borders and other such features. Check the developer's website, there may be a trial version so you can give it a go before purchasing -- but it's only $20, and even cheaper on the iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.