Apple repair after drop?

Reaction score
I dropped my macbook pro over a year ago, and all has been fine and dandy but lately I noticed my disc drive is producing circular scratches in my discs. Is apple going to repair my macbook pro under warranty, or blame the new disc problem on the old drop and charge me? I cannot afford to pay for the repairs! That's why I bough the warranty!

Anyone have any insight or experience with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All accidental damage is on you, so be prepared to pay. The Apple warranty does not cover drops, spills, or any other accidental damage. And yes, Apple will know it has been dropped.

Reaction score
How bad of a drop was it? It takes quite a bit to dent the aluminum case. If the case is not dented or bent then I highly doubt the drop caused the problem with the drive. Call apple support to set up a repair just don't mention that it was dropped.
If the case is dented you may as well forget the warranty because no matter what apple will say it was from being dropped. In this case you will be better off to purchase a new drive from ebay and either replace it yourself or take it to someone that knows how to open the unit and replace it. Depending on what MacBook you have , for a new drive is gonna run anywhere from 40 to 60 bucks off ebay . If I were to change it ( just for reference ) I would charge 75.00 for the labor+ what ever the superdrive cost.
unfortunately most places wont touch a MacBook pro for under 200 , at least around here I find most repair shops charge far to much just because its an apple. It takes roughly an hour to change the dvd drive in a MacBook pro , if you know what needs to be done.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

yay the aluminum case is dented pretty bad on both sides, but the drive thing is completely new and happened so long after the drop I am sure they aren't related. I guess I will just replace it myself, but 60 dollars isn't to bad, and I have friends who can install it for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.