Best way to make an application available ?

Reaction score
Seasons greetings folks I hope you all have had a joyous and SAFE holiday season.
I bought an ebook from someone on ebay. The ebook came as a link to download in my email. It worked fine and I have the book minimized right now. It is a Companion Bible and has 2,472 pages. I will be using it almost daily if not at least 3 times a week or so . I do not know what to do with it now that I have it downloaded. I would like to have an icon associated with it that I could put at the bottom of the desktop. Can someone please assist me with what I need to do? :Blushing:
I almost forgot ; I am using a MacBook Pro , I would also like to install it on my iPad if possible but again I am facing the same problem.

Thank you ;

fredconk

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The eBook Bible can only be used on your MacBook Pro as it's for OS X. The iPad uses iOS which is an entirely different operating system. However, you can download the free "Blue Letter Bible" from the iTunes App store for your iPad. Not only is it free but it includes all the popular Bible translations and much more. The difference is the Bibles are only available as long as you have a WiFi or cellular connection. (depending on which version of iPad you have)

To answer your other question about the icon, you should be able to place the icon for the eBook reader on your dock. I don't know off hand of a way to use a special icon for the Bible itself.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you Chscag for you're reply . That is exactly what I am trying to find out is.." To answer your other question about the icon, you should be able to place the icon for the eBook reader on your dock. I don't know off hand of a way to use a special icon for the Bible itself."
How or where do I get the icon for the ebook reader ? Then how do I associate that with the ebook? All I got in the email was a link to download the book. I downloaded it but it is only 2,472 pages of text. no icon or anything else. I need an icon and a way to associate it with the text. I think?
I looked in my download file and it has the title but no icon next to it. Well it does have something looks like a small page but nothing i can use as an icon.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I misunderstood your first post. When you purchased the Bible eBook, you should have been given an application to read it with. It appears all you received was the eBook itself. Amazon sells eBooks which they call books for the Kindle. The difference is that Amazon supplies a free reader for the Mac as well as the iPhone and iPad.

Apple does not provide an eBook reader for the Mac. They only provide one for the iPhone and iPad; in other words just for iOS. You can download the Apple eBook reader from the iTunes store but it will only work on your iPad. But we need to find out first just what the eBook you purchased is compatible with. In other words, just what kind of eBook it is?

OP
F
Reaction score
GREAT thank you for assisting me Chscag ! I really appreciate it. For now I have to do the present thing with grandkids but I will look in a couple of hours or so and have a reply . Again Thanks a lot for putting up with my mess.

Sincerely
fredconk

OP
F
Reaction score
Best way to make an application available

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CHSCAG I would like to thank you for your assistance. I found out how to do this by experimenting. I usually do not experiment or if I do , I do not go further than 2 or 3 steps, for sure no more steps than I can remember so I can back up and that way nothing has changed permanently .
OK here is what I did.

1. I opened Finder ; downloads ( because remember I downloaded the file )

2. I went to help and typed in ADD TO DOCK ( actually as soon as I typed in add one of my choices was to add to dock )

3. It showed the drop down list under File and it highlighted "Add to dock" automatically .

As far as an icon goes it already had the PDF icon in finder. I would like to rename that icon; but for now I am content . I just did not want to have to go through having to open finder first then downloads then find the application each time I wanted to use it. Had it been that way I most probably would not use it very much. Or forget that it is in my downloads file .

If I right click on the PDF icon I only have 3 (three) choices and they are

1. Remove from dock.

2. Open at login .

3. Show in Finder .

Since neither of them are what I want . I need to find another way. I sure do thank you for your help .

fredconk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I take it the Bible eBook you purchased is a large PDF file? When you double click on it does it open with the "Preview" application? Let me know and we'll figure something out which will make it easier for you to use it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes it is a PDF file and it has 2,472 pages. I just did not want to have to go so deep into the computer to find the file when I wanted to use it. I already knew I would be using it a lot and that is why I anted to make it available from the dock.

fredconk

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Let me see if I can explain this to you so you'll be able to follow.

On the right side of your Dock you have a folder that looks like a letter note or paper note. That folder is your "Documents" folder and sits to the left of the "Downloads" folder. Drag the Bible PDF file from your Finder and drop it into the "Documents" folder. Right click on the "Documents" folder and select "Name", "Folder", "List".

Whenever you click on the "Documents" folder your Bible PDF file will appear. Just click on it once and it will open automatically with the "Preview" application.
You can set bookmarks with Preview if you like. Bookmarks make it easy to get back to where you left off or your favorite Bible books.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I might just jump in here but if the Bible is in PDF format, you will be able to use it on your iPad.
Open iTunes and click on Books and then just drag the PDF into the window in iTunes. Now when you sync it you will be able to read it through the iBooks App on your iPad.

Once it it synced to the iPad open iBooks Click on Books up the top and another window will pop up, then click PDF and wholla you have your Bible :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you Chscag and TattoedMac for your input and help. I did get an icon working by opening Finder (where the application is at ) and went to help . Just so happened that there was a help topic in there that stated " ADD TO DOCK " Gee who woulda thought huh? Well I folowed the instructions there and now I have an icon in the dock. Thanks again for your help.

fredconk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Happy new year Fred . . . . . .

Are you still wanting it on your iPad ?? Did you follow the instructions i gave out to get the Bible onto it ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.