Silverlight Error while attempting to stream Netflix?

Reaction score
screenshot20121224at855.png

I receive the above error message when trying to run Netflix, I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, restarted the computer, cleared browser history, everything.

I am using a Macbook Air with 4GB of DDR3 Ram with a 1.7 GHz processor i5 using Mac OSX Lion

I have called Netflix and Microsoft and they literally have no clue and I am so bored, I don't own a TV or have cable so I rely on Netflix for entertainment, I stay on a college campus.

The college does have a firewall installed could that possibly be blocking Silverlight? Microsoft and Netflix said no.

Any help is appreciated thank you. :'(:'(:'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to the screen shot you posted, you have numerous browser windows (tabs) open in the background. If you're using Safari, do this: Click on the Safari main menu at the top of your screen, and then select reset Safari. That should close all background windows (tabs). You can also click on the File menu in Safari and select "close all windows".

With regard to the firewall your university is using... it may not have any impact on Silverlight itself but it could be blocking your Netflix streaming. You should check with your university IT support to see if the firewall may be the problem.

OP
I
Reaction score
According to the screen shot you posted, you have numerous browser windows (tabs) open in the background. If you're using Safari, do this: Click on the Safari main menu at the top of your screen, and then select reset Safari. That should close all background windows (tabs). You can also click on the File menu in Safari and select "close all windows".

With regard to the firewall your university is using... it may not have any impact on Silverlight itself but it could be blocking your Netflix streaming. You should check with your university IT support to see if the firewall may be the problem.

Hi, thank you for your reply!

I'm using Firefox and I did call them and they told me that they don't know of any Netflix error issues. We're on Holiday Break now so not many people are still on campus.
I know for a fact they block the downloading of .torrent files though.

I log into netflix.com just fine, there's only an issue when I click to watch a tv show or movie.

I'm thinking it has to be a network issue since I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem and Neflix also shows the same exact error on my Roommate's laptop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm thinking it has to be a network issue since I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem and Neflix also shows the same exact error on my Roommate's laptop.

That's even more reason to suspect your campus network. The fact that your IT folks are blocking torrent sites leads me to suspect that they may be the problem with Netflix. Anyway, since it's the Xmas break, there's really not much you can do until they get back to work. Although, there should be someone around for emergency purposes. As for Firefox, you can close all the tabs at once from the main menu.

OP
I
Reaction score
That's even more reason to suspect your campus network. The fact that your IT folks are blocking torrent sites leads me to suspect that they may be the problem with Netflix. Anyway, since it's the Xmas break, there's really not much you can do until they get back to work. Although, there should be someone around for emergency purposes. As for Firefox, you can close all the tabs at once from the main menu.

Hi, here is an update!

I do own an Android phone that is hooked up to the campus wifi and Netflix will still stream on there just not my Macbook Air.

So I don't think the school is blocking the connection since I can stream on my smartphone.

I really wanted to watch Christmas movies today as well, so very upset :Grimmace:

I hope Apple releases an update soon because I am pretty sure this is an Apple issue now and they're closed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not an Apple issue. We just found out this morning that Netflix was down for certain areas. In other words, they had outages. Suggest trying them again today since they are now back up and let us know if you can watch on your MBP.

OP
I
Reaction score
It's not an Apple issue. We just found out this morning that Netflix was down for certain areas. In other words, they had outages. Suggest trying them again today since they are now back up and let us know if you can watch on your MBP.

Nope, still have the same error!

But it's ok, I am now 100% sure it is my campus internet blocking the use of the Microsoft Silverlight app.

I just went to a store that has Wifi and Netflix played fine there on my Macbook Air and when I bought it back to the dorm I got the same error.

Thank you though for all your help! Hopefully the school is only blocking it temporarily since it was working just fine since September.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi:

Thanks for posting back. That's kind of what we suspected at first although I can't see any reason for them to be blocking Netflix. Looks like you'll have to go to Starbucks temporarily to watch movies. A real pain.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi:

Thanks for posting back. That's kind of what we suspected at first although I can't see any reason for them to be blocking Netflix. Looks like you'll have to go to Starbucks temporarily to watch movies. A real pain.

Haha, I go there everyday anyhow :p

I did find a back door though for it to work! (finally!)

I set my Android phone to be a Wifi hotspot and connected to that internet connection through my Macbook Air and loaded netflix. Then I switched back to the Campus wifi, refreshed and it loads fine! :D

This is a tad bit annoying but at least it works now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I set my Android phone to be a Wifi hotspot and connected to that internet connection through my Macbook Air and loaded netflix. Then I switched back to the Campus wifi, refreshed and it loads fine!

Al right! Good thinking and thanks for posting the solution. Maybe it will help someone else who's also going through the same gyrations to get it working. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.