Macbook Ram question

Reaction score
What are the odds that a macbook can handle more ram that what is listed as max supported amount? I have a 2006 macbook that says it's max is 2GB and is maxed out. Will more Ram work at all or will it only recognize up to the 2GB max. I was looking at the app store and looks like I can run Mountain Lion, but would like to have more ram before committing to it.

Reaction score
What part of 2006 was your MacBook produced. in 2006 the early macbooks were intel core duo and will not run mountain lion or lion . The later year 2006 were core 2 duo and will run lion or mountain lion . As for the ram the core duo models will only go up to 2gigs any more and they will fail to boot. The later 2006 with the core 2 duo will support 3 gigs of ram but that is the max I have ever been able to put In them. This has been my experience with several of the a1150 MacBook pros and several of the later a1211 MBPs . I am fairly sure this would hold true to the macbooks also.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Looking at the "About" section, I have the Core duo, so no lions for me :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.