Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz Upgrades

Reaction score
Ok well If i get a PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz will there be anything that I should upgrade or change, other than the computer is there any software that you reccomend that I buy. To me the specs of the Mac all seem very high perfromance except the RAM - 512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200), is there something special/better about this ram than the one in a normal PC because most computer I am seeing have a 1 Gb, is there something better about this RAM or is it worth getting some more RAM?

Reaction score
Good idea to upgrade the ram. If you order it from somewhere other than apple and install it yourself it's cheeper. Make sure its good quality as Macs don't like cheep ram.

What are you planning on doing with the computer ?

OP
T
Reaction score
I will use the computer for everyday applications: word, internet, email but i will also use it for things like burning cd's, digital photography, some games that are availavable for macs. Im not using it for anything special just everyday work and sometimes using digital editing software (Photoshop). I just came from a very slow, crashing PC and would like something that's fast so i dont have to wait. I want something thats capable of running almost any/every program, incase I start using more complex programs that require a better computer. Will a program such as photoshop run smoothly on the PowerMac, will it at all challenge this Mac's performance or will it be slow and laggy, will I be able to go from say Photoshop to and internet browser and will be quick or slow to switch and allow me to use the functions. Will say another 512 Mb or 1 Gb of RAM make much of a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I would say at least 1 GB of RAM

Reaction score
Photoshop should run fine and you can have an internet browser running and be listening to music without it being a problem. OSX is multi processing so you can run more than one program at once. The extra memory is always a bonus and will enable you to have more programs open at the same time.

You may want to get toast for burning CD's if you'd like some extra features but the system software can do the basic stuff no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.