iMac extra hdd options

Reaction score
My 2010 iMac Hdd is a 1tb and does not have enough space for installing xampp and a newznab indexing site. I estimate I need 400gb or so for this. Is there an option of adding a second hdd? If I get a LaCie thunderbolt drive, would it be recognized as a real drive? My Nas drives are not recognized as drives on which I can install software for running ( like applications). I can only save to the Nas, but not use it as a second data drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe your 2010 iMac has the space (but not the bracket) for installing a second hard drive or SSD. Since the thermal sensors on that machine are proprietary I'm not sure what all is involved. However, Other World Computing has a turn around program for modifying both the 2010 and 2011 iMacs to accommodate a second hard drive. You might wish to contact them via their 800 number and ask. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.