• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

no 17" macbook

B

bluesky

Apparently there will definitely be a 12” MacBook however the 17” has been cancelled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
bluesky said:
Apparently there will definitely be a 12” MacBook however the 17” has been cancelled

You cant just say that.. where you getting this info from???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
homer_j said:
You cant just say that.. where you getting this info from???

He/she can saw whatever they want to say.......

...the validity, however, is left to be seen.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC Pro, ESX server, & 17" G4 Powerbook
I don't buy it... They may not have the 17" inch on the slate yet, but I am sure it will come. I have a 17" G4 PB and I really want the new MacPro. I will just have to wait. Where are you getting this info from?

OP
B

bluesky

Well this is what I was told by a friend / client who is in the know. He just said they where planning both but have now dropped the 17”. However it remains to be seen if its true.

A new 6gb red and black nano is on the way also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, it makes sense to me. A 17" notebook is only 1.6" larger than the 15.4" MacBook they have now. I dont think that warrants making a whole new model. I think they tried to take what was most popular with the PowerBooks, which is the 15", and release something akin to that for MacBook. The 17" is the least popular when you look at sales, for its quite a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I was really hoping for a 13.3" widescreen version of the MacBook Pro. I wonder what they would call it, the MacBook Mini? lol

Reaction score
Probably just the MacBook, wich will replace the iBook.
In my opinion, there will be following line-up of portables:

MacBook 13.3" Core Solo
MacBook 15.4" Core Solo
MacBook Pro 12" Core Duo
MacBook Pro 15.4" Core Duo
MacBook Pro 17" Core Duo

MacBooks will not be widescreens, I reckon, only the Pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I think the iBook line could still exist in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I really wish they would just reconsider the MacBook naming scheme. My guess, though, is this:

Consumer core solo books:

12.1", 14.1"

Pro books:

13.3", 15.4", 17".

This keeps them clearly divided. Consumer has single core, pro has dual. Pro has widescreen, consumer does not. Simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Meyvn said:
I really wish they would just reconsider the MacBook naming scheme. My guess, though, is this:

Consumer core solo books:

12.1", 14.1"

Pro books:

13.3", 15.4", 17".

This keeps them clearly divided. Consumer has single core, pro has dual. Pro has widescreen, consumer does not. Simple as that.

agreed, i like how that would go..
I would also want a 13.3 inch wide screen macbook.. something small..
as long as it has all the features of the 15 and 17, it annoys me that the 12 inch powerbook does not have everything that the 15 and 17 inc powerbook have, I have the 15 inch powerbook.. but i would like a 12 inch for just like aim and stuff on the road.. better battery power and such.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I also believe that the 17" is too big and bulky. I think that two notebooks in each line would be enough.

OP
Z

zap2

my mother has 17'' ands great, i would never want one because i have an nice desktop iMac and a 12'' iBook for on the go, but people who are replacing there desktop with a laptop might need the 17'' screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
zap2 said:
my mother has 17'' ands great, i would never want one because i have an nice desktop iMac and a 12'' iBook for on the go, but people who are replacing there desktop with a laptop might need the 17'' screen

Agreed. I know that there's the external monitor and whatnot, but had I gone for the 17", there'd be little for me to ***** about.

As for the 12" lacking features, I agree that they really should've had a little more, but a 12" body is kind of hard to fit it all into. I saw the guys at the Apple store pry open my book and it was like "Whoa, they fit all that in there?"

Reaction score
mynameis said:
17in is too big IMO.

Dude if you've evr worked with a CAD Program NOTHING is too big! Sometimes I have my ArchiCad running with over 18 little windows, 4 views of the same model, so many pallettes. I need 2 screens for that at home, and once I'm out of university an working, I'll get myself 2 30" Cinemas and a PowerMac Quad :..... mauha
Til then it's an iMac and an iBook. But Screen Estate is valuable for those who WORK with their computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Greenredfield said:
I think the iBook line could still exist in the future.

They'll be rid of it sooner or later. They'll probably keep the iBook naming scheme and call it the mBook or something akin to it.

OP
B

Berman

zap2 said:

i have a similar combo as you do. 20" imac and 12" ibook. anyway, my sister has a 15" powerbook and the screen resolution on it is so nice that i could see it replacing a desktop. i don't think they need to sell a 17" if very few people are actually buying it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.