iMac Power Issue (wont power up)

Reaction score
I have a 24" iMac from early 2008. Of course today is the day it does it's weekly back-up, and yesterday I noticed that it was off (I usually leave the computer on with power save options). When I attempted to turn it on I heard the disk drive make a noise like it was kicking on but that was it. The screen remained black, no start up chime or screen flicker. I unplugged everything and tried again and it is still doing the same thing. Has anyone had any issues similar? I am just hoping it is not the hard drive. Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I hate to say it, but I think the hard drive is the least of your worries if it doesn't even show a picture on the screen.

Before you get too crazy, try doing a PRAM reset. Start with the machine turned off. Pull the power cord just to be sure you're doing this from a "cold" state. Plug it back in, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until you hear the startup chime twice.

If no startup chime sounds, you may have a more significant problem (i.e. a bad logic board or power supply).

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried with no luck. I set up an appointment with the Apple Store. I guess we will see what they say, but I have gotten a good 5 years out of this iMac. I am just concerned about the hard drive, had some stuff on there that i didnt get to back up. If a logic board costs the $1500 I've read about then i might as well replace the machine. Thanks cwa107 for the help.

OP
C
Reaction score
Still no luck, the only thing that happens when the power button is pressed is the sound the disk drive makes when a disk is put into it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Still no luck, the only thing that happens when the power button is pressed is the sound the disk drive makes when a disk is put into it.

I'm sorry to hear that - it certainly doesn't look good. Here's to hoping for a Christmas miracle ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And fingers crossed it is the hard drive and not the power supply.

OP
C
Reaction score
No Christmas miracle here guys. Apple store confirmed that it was the logic board that died. Kind of excited about picking out a new computer though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well that is always the silver lining to any cloud. Advertise on eBay as not working parts only.

Reaction score
That could be anything. Hope that it's not something big though. I too am struggling with an iMac, an iMac G4 with no OS refuses to let me put Tiger on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like your Tiger discs are the problem laptoplover2. Silver/grey model specific discs will not work with any computer other than the precise model they came with. You need a black retail install DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.