I deleted my home directory?

Reaction score
I've been struggling with my MacBook air telling me my startup disk is almost full. Out of 120 gb I have 10 free... And couldn't figure out why as I had deleted all movies and games and temporary files,library... Omni app... I tried to figure it out.

Eventually an app got me to a directory and I carelessly clicked twice and deleted it. It was whatever FileVault puts fIles in. Looked like a bunch of numbers listed down.

Of course safari crashed, disk utility, downloader and I'm logged out. When I boot my name comes up as usual, ask for my password and says FileVault can't open due to an error. I can't get on to use the online recovery, and I have no recovery partition, lost the USB from 2010.

I don't want to pay $150 for Mac os to be reinstalled.

Can I download clean Lion torrent, throw it on a CD or preferably USB (i dont know if my onapple external cd drive will work) and plug it in to redownload?

Will it boot anything up since I can't get past my own login after holding down the option key.

I know I was so careless. Help please with steps I can take to fIx this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a system install. You need a bigger hard drive as an absolute minimum of 15% free space is a must to see the drive work anywhere near efficiently. Using Lion or Mountain Lion? Boot holding down Command+R to enter Recovery, format the drive and dpo a clean install.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We do not discuss illegal activities in these forums, so kill the idea and talk about downloading Lion via a torrent. Since you messed up and now your MBA has locked you out, take it to your local Apple store. They're generally pretty good about helping out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In answer to your topic line, when I highlight my Home Folder, the Delete icon in the toolbar will not function. So, no, I don't think you did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.