Not Impressed with Apple Service

A

atforce

Guys these are a few example on the whole apple care is really good I have dealt with them a bucnh of times and they have come through evereytime with flying colors.

B

BoingoBongo

When I called regarding the dead pixel on my new iMac, the first guy I talked to was one of the best customer service people I've ever encountered. Sadly, he had to transfer me to an engineer or somebody who was kind of a jerk.

I told him about the dead pixel and that I wanted an exchange because the screen was defective and he said, "Well it's defective by your standards." Yeah, I paid over two grand for this thing, I'm holding it to my standards. Then he told me another machine would probably have at least one dead pixel too (and probably more). He told me that I could try and convince "sales" to take it back because of buyer's remorse.

The first guy was great, but the second guy had obviously been away from real human interaction for way too long.

A

admiralpye

curious said:
Yikes. I always assumed Apple care was BETTER than Dell or other PC makers. This is *not* good.

Then, as I said in my post in your other thread: DON'T GET A MAC.

I don't know what someone who doesn't want to switch to a mac is doing in a MAC FORUM, anyway. I really don't get it. Your PC's fine, right? So stick with it.

The user here had legitimate problems with his mac and experienced poor service from Apple. So this is a discussion that involves people who are already mac users. Or those who sincerely consider switching.

Saying this with no ill will, since you're convinced you shouldn't switch: I think a PC forum would really help you out more. :miner:

C

curious

admiralpye said:
I don't know what someone who doesn't want to switch to a mac is doing in a MAC FORUM, anyway.
Don't make assumptions about me, and I won't make assumptions about you.

I'm in a Mac forum because I'm seriously considering getting a Mac. I visited an Apple store tonight because I'm seriously considering getting a Mac.

By the way, why are you getting so defensive (pissy, even) about a machine?

Hey... machine... MacHine. :)

Reaction score
All of these stories, good and bad, could be about any type of computer repair organisation for any type of computer or IT equipment. In fact, it could be about any type of appliance. Try getting your plasma TV fixed in 24 hours. Sometimes everything goes well and sometimes it doesn't.

Many years ago I had a HP Deskjet 500C. I had been using it for almost 3 years when it stopped working. As printers were very expensive back then, I rang the local HP agent. He looked up the serial number and said it was still under the 3 year warranty and I was entitled to a replacement refurbished machine with an additional 1 year warranty. I had no idea it was still under warranty - he told me!! Not only that but he delivered it to me at work and put it in the car for me and there was no charge.

I don't expect that level of service every time I need something repaired. I've waited weeks for washing machine parts, heater parts and a freezer repair.
All at least as inconvenient as waiting for a computer to be fixed.

Reaction score
A friend of mine got a PB after me telling her how great they are.. Needless to say 2 dead pixels showed up right in the middle of the screen, I felt bad because I talked her in to getting one.. We went to the Apple store without a appointment and they replaced the PB.. I guess it's were you live and luck.. I took my PB to the same Apple store to have Tiger installed when Tiger first come out. I got home and was using the PB and my fans kept coming on, this went on for 2 days.. Finally I said the heck with this and went back to the store and got Panther installed with no charge.. I thought that was the end of the story until 2 months latter they called me and told me they had an updated Tiger and do I want to try it again. I declined because I didn't like Tiger to begin with and my fans never go on with Panther.. I guess it depends on where you live to get good Apple service. I'm happy with the way I was treated and the girl is tickled pink to have gotten a new PB.. Just for the record there are states that have a Lemon law on computers..I'm a happy Mac user.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
*update*

Got my iMac back this evening. They replaced the logic board and original RAM and did a fresh install. They will replace the case free of charge whenever I'm ready to bring it back in (I badly need it for work at the moment so cant wait for them to do it now.)

At this moment in time the service I have received from Apple is the sole reason why I'm considering selling. Yes I like the mac, its OS is solid, its very quite and has no problem handling the tasks I need (video editing & web design). But in saying that, if it takes 4 weeks for a repair then its not much good to me. The guys in the shop said that regardless of the problem its a 2 week minimum turn around and this is just not good enough in my book for equipment which is under warranty.

I've been a long time windows user (my day job is an NT sys admin) and as I am very comfortable using windows I never had problems with XP or any other version for that matter (except ME, that should be rebranded as a virus!!!) so I wouldnt have any problem moving back to a pc. But I just like my mac.......but is it worth the down time?

Either way I need to keep it for the next 2 weeks, both for work and to get the case replaced, but at that stage I'm going to take a good hard look at my options and go from there.

Brian

I guess it simply comes down to the fact

A

admiralpye

curious said:
Don't make assumptions about me, and I won't make assumptions about you.

I'm in a Mac forum because I'm seriously considering getting a Mac. I visited an Apple store tonight because I'm seriously considering getting a Mac.

By the way, why are you getting so defensive (pissy, even) about a machine?

Hey... machine... MacHine. :)

Sorry it's just that I come to this forum looking for tips and feedback about mac. And coming across unhelpful comments like yours really sours the experience of being in a mac message board.

I reviewed all the comments you have made in this board and you don't seem to be seriously considering switching -- which is FINE. really. I don't espouse the view that windows or PCs are the devil. I still have my Sony VAIO handy, in fact.

BUT a lot (actually most) of your comments just come across as inflammatory. Correct me if I'm wrong here. And sorry if you think I'm making wrong assumptions about you. But your comments don't support your "I'm seriously thingking about switching" defense.

And as I said, I don't hate PCs. So I am not defensive about having a mac. I'm actually voicing out my annoyance at having many threads at the switcher hangout somehow hijacked by comments that don't contribute to the discussion.

(Sorry moderators if I am being out of line here.)

A

admiralpye

BrianjG said:
*update*

Got my iMac back this evening. They replaced the logic board and original RAM and did a fresh install. They will replace the case free of charge whenever I'm ready to bring it back in (I badly need it for work at the moment so cant wait for them to do it now.)

At this moment in time the service I have received from Apple is the sole reason why I'm considering selling. Yes I like the mac, its OS is solid, its very quite and has no problem handling the tasks I need (video editing & web design). But in saying that, if it takes 4 weeks for a repair then its not much good to me. The guys in the shop said that regardless of the problem its a 2 week minimum turn around and this is just not good enough in my book for equipment which is under warranty.

I've been a long time windows user (my day job is an NT sys admin) and as I am very comfortable using windows I never had problems with XP or any other version for that matter (except ME, that should be rebranded as a virus!!!) so I wouldnt have any problem moving back to a pc. But I just like my mac.......but is it worth the down time?

Either way I need to keep it for the next 2 weeks, both for work and to get the case replaced, but at that stage I'm going to take a good hard look at my options and go from there.

Brian

I guess it simply comes down to the fact

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Which makes me a bit paranoid about my own mac. :( I agree that a 2-week wait EVERYTIME something goes wrong is too long. I'm going to consult the Apple Service Center here in my country and know what's what. So I'll be prepared in case something weird happens.

Good luck, and whether you choose to keep your mac or not, thanks for sharing your experience.

L

lurch104

I have made the switch. I replaced my desktop with an iSight G5, and gave my desktop to my daughter. After the first month of keeping up with routine PC maintenance, I gave my PC to my sister and bought my daughter a Mini. So far so good.

Now, I am waiting for the new iBook to come out to complete the switch (still have an old dell laptop). After reading a bunch of threads, I am starting to consider the AppleCare plan. Generally, I NEVER buy extended warrantees, seem to be a rip off (very high profit margin for manufacturers). I am now starting to wonder if I need it for an iBook. Does Apple give you a hard time with a repair within the first year of ownership (warantee)? My previous PC's were swapped via next day air when I had issues (Gateway). I am getting the impression that without Applecare, you may be treated very badly.

For what it is worth, the nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away (Philadelphia, but I drive to Delaware for the tax free shopping and an extra 1/2 hour). So if I had an issue, I would more than likely work through the mail.

Any thoughts?

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
*UPDATE*

This has gone beyond a joke. The same problem is still there. After spending 4 hours on the phone with an Apple tech and running a continuous hardware test he was of the opinion that it was temp related. (the pc powered off during the test process)

Apparently within the Republic of Ireland there is no option to return the unit to Apple for repair (UK & NI only). Instead you must use the authorised service provider (there are no apple stores in the ROI afaik. none near me anyway).

According to the tech if it isnt repaired this time I may be entitled to a new unit, but under irish law I may be entitled to one now anyway (need to investigate and confirm)

soooooo. as it stands I have a 2000€ paper weight and I have to give it back to the same people who havent been able to repair it for the last 4 weeks.

more updates as they become available,

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
*update*

Got up this morning to find that the pc had rebooted itself at least once since last night. I rang Apple again this morning and spoke with another tech agent. I checked on how I stood legally and confirmed that under irish law I was entitled to a either a refund or a replacement since attempts to repair the problem were unsuccesful.

I told him I wanted to get a refund but after a lot of toing and froing we agreed that if I would try 1 last attempt he would then look into getting a refund/replacement. Since the level of apple support seems to be so poor in Ireland (which ironic since the Euro HQ is within sight of my house!!!) I dont want to risk getting a replacement and then waiting weeks if something goes wrong with that one too.

So I'm waiting for new RAM to get here and see if that resolves the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Well, I had a good experience with Apple customer service. I bought a refurbed mini for $379.99, and I got a $30 off of $300 coupon a few days later. I called to ask them if I could retroactively apply the coupon to my order, and they did it. I had to talk to a couple of people, but it was no big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Im sorry you are having such an infuriating experience, I dont blame you for being upset. It obviously seems like a problem with the certified Apple repair shop, not Apple themselves. I would suggest reporting their inability to correct the matter to your nearsest corporate Apple representative. Although your situation is already in progress, you may be able to help prevent future customers from dealing with these neandrathals.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
Greenredfield said:
I would suggest reporting their inability to correct the matter to your nearsest corporate Apple representative. Although your situation is already in progress, you may be able to help prevent future customers from dealing with these neandrathals.

I agree. I tried to do this but couldnt find the right contact details for anyone on the Apple website. Nor could I find detail of how to contact customer service.

And just to clarify I dont want people to think I'm posting here just to bash apple. When it did work I was delighted with what I bought and was prompting other people to switch (i'm getting the p1ss taken out of me for it now) It did everything I want better then the pc equivalent. I'm just sharing my experience (no pun intended!). My only gripe with Apple is that they dont provide what I would class as direct support, ie being able to return it directly for repair and bypass the 3rd party service provider. Even with a care plan the unit will still be sent to someone else for repair, although not the company I took mine to.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
*update*

Its amazing what friends in the right place can do for you. I called a buddy of mine who's a trainer with Apple and he managed to get someone to push through my case and after 2 calls today I was offered either a full refund or a replacement G5. If I had been offered an Intel mac I probably would have taken it but I decided to take the refund.

I'm dissapointed with having to return my mac as it was great while it worked but since the level of service is poor (when compared to Dell's service in Ireland or even Apples service in the UK) I'm forced to part with it.

I guess it comes down to the fact the Apple probably havent got a huge share of the Irish market and therefore arent interested in providing direct support. Although they are unlikely to increase that share because of that reluctance.

So thats it from me, maybe some day I'll consider getting another mac when the local support is better. Thanks to all for posting and see you around.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
atforce said:
What do you plan on getting?

looking at a dell dimension 9150 with a dual core cpu at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.