Kismac with D-Link G122

Reaction score
Hello, let me just say that this is a question that I understand would be better suited in the forum on Kismac's own website, but seeing as it's down I thought I might be able to find some help here.

I use an Intel Macbook with OS 10.7.5, and I've just bought a D-Link USB adapter "DWL-G122". I checked beforehand, and apparently this device does work with Kismac. I've already read that I'm not supposed to install a driver for it because Kismac contains one already, the "USB Prism2 device, passive mode".

The problem is that when I click "scan" I get the following error message:

Could not instantiate Driver.

KisMAC was able to load the driver backend for USB Prism2 device, but it was unable to create an interface. Make sure your capture device is properly plugged in. If you think everything is correct, you can try to restart your computer. Maybe your console.log and system.log show more details.

So, I realize this might be an obscure problem for anyone who hasn't had the same issue, but, just incase someone here is familiar with this, I was hoping to get some help.

Also, a friend of mine has used the USB device on his PC laptop (after installing the driver from the CD), and I noticed that a little light on the device flickers, which doesn't happen when I try to use it with my own Mac laptop.

I appreciate any help, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Does the Ethernet Adapter appear in System Preferences > Network?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. Ethernet adapter? No, it says there's nothing plugged in, but this device didn't come with any ethernet cable. However, I might have discovered the problem. I bought this particular D-Link USB because a store clerk confirmed it was one of the ones listed that work with Kismac.

I fooled around with it all day yesterday until finally I noticed that this one is "version E1", while only A1 and B1 seem to be listed. Also, D1 is listed as not working. So it seems I made a mistake; there is no driver in Kismac for this version of the USB. I don't suppose there's a way to get around this or even import a driver into Kismac. Anyhow, I'm going to try and find a way to email the creators of Kismac and see if they'll make a new driver, and in the meantime (when stores open after the holidays) I'll look for a compatible USB. I'm not sure I'll find it, seeing as I live in a small town.

If there is a way around this please let me know, otherwise thank you for replying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not helpful but have NEVER EVER got one of those USB adapters to work successfully. Lack of Mac OS X drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.