So I broke my usb...

Reaction score
I unplugged my USB without ejecting. It was an accident and it was the first time it has happened. It has 2 partitions, one for my Mac and one for my PS3. The mac partition is no longer detected, only the PS3. I can't do anything on the PS3 partition though, its pretty much locked. Its strange because my PS3 can still use the files stored.

I opened Disk Utility but, any repair and restore option is unclickable, it is greyed out. Disk Warrior is the same.

Anyway I can fix it or is it dead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Disk Warrior can't do anything with it, it's likely bent for good. You may be able to re-format it with a PC but even then it may not work. Salvage what files you can from it before attempting to format it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same as with Windows gotta eject prior to disconnecting. Thumb drives can be pretty delicate instruments at the best of times. After following chscag's suggestion of formatting on a PC, give Disk Utility a try again and see if it locates the drive.

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
Same as with Windows gotta eject prior to disconnecting. Thumb drives can be pretty delicate instruments at the best of times. After following chscag's suggestion of formatting on a PC, give Disk Utility a try again and see if it locates the drive.

I can't format on PC. It says its write protected.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When the drive shows up in Disk Utility, what does it look like? Can you send us a screen shot?

OP
Cooler
Reaction score
When the drive shows up in Disk Utility, what does it look like? Can you send us a screen shot?

This the only option and I am able to click:
GLWE.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Leave the PS3 partition alone for now. Click the Mac partition. Click Mount. What happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Click on 31.88GB Intenso and see if you can use the Repair button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.