Time Capsule Info / Help

Reaction score
I am currently running a Macbook with OSX 10.5.8 and I ran out of space on my hard drive.

So, I picked up a new 2TB time capsule configured my network setting and did my first backup of my computer.

So my question is this:

A. Can I now erase the contents on my macbook hard drive to free up the space on my computer? Or will this be erased off my time capsule on the next backup.

B. Can I set the time capsule to just backup documents, itunes & Iphoto? Or does it need to to the whole computer every time?

C. Is there a way to connect a iphone & ipad directly to the time capsule for a backup without using the macbook and itunes? If so, that would be awesome so I could ditch using icloud.

I noticed that I just cant click on it like an external hard drive connected through a USB can find the files I want which is kinda weird unless i dont know wheat Im doing yet.

Thank in advance for any help and advice?

Vonhova

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Quick answer to your questions:
A: If you erase data from your MacBook, that data is NOT erased from your Time Machine backup automatically. ( Before you erase data from your MacBook, please verify that the data has actually been backed up to your Time Capsule.)
B: You can not set Time Machine to backup just documents or iTunes or iPhoto, but you can however exclude specific folders from being backed up by Time Machine. This is not recommended as you are defeating the objectives of having a backup.
C: You can not connect iPhone or Ipads directly to the Time Capsule for making backups.

Some strong advice ...... do not manage Time Machine backups through anything other than the Time Machine application.

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Although data is not deleted from a Time Machine backup automatically be careful with this. Eventually, as the backup drive fills up, Time Machine starts deleting older information to make room for new stuff.

Time Machine does give a warning though when this is about to start happening.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.