NAS Support Iomega iX2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
Hi all,

I picked up an Iomega iX2-NG a few days ago to add to my on site storage. I have set the device up as instructed and setup all the shares I require.

My issue is the transfer speeds. Transferring a single camera raw file of between 24-28MB takes 4-8 minutes. I can transfer the same file to my other NAS, a Buffalo Linkstation in a matter of seconds.

I wondered if anyone here has any experience of the Iomega NAS drives and could point me in the right direction.

Iomega themselves have been less than useless, telling me that the drive will work at its best only when it and one other device are connected to the same network.... Which kind of ruins the point of a NAS in the first place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
what kind of router are you using? how is the NAS connected to it?

OP
vaughaag
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

My ADSL router is a Netgear DGN3500, to this I have a Netgear GS108 which has my iMac, the Iomega NAS, the Linkstation and my TV connected as well as a Belkin gigabit powerline adapter for my upstairs office.

All cabling is CAT6, all IP's are assigned. The Iomega drive is not showing any more collisions than any of the other devices, there are no routing errors either. If I remove all devices other than the Iomega NAS and my MBP wired directly into the ADSL router there is no improvement in transfer speed.

I am able to stream 1080 movies from my Linkstation to my TV with no issues at all, but when I try ans stream the same movie from the Iomega drive it jumps, skips and is unwatchable.

Cheers,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only suggestion i would make are to check the cabling to the NAS. Try a different cable and see if that helps.

OP
vaughaag
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only suggestion i would make are to check the cabling to the NAS. Try a different cable and see if that helps.

Again thanks for the reply. Thats one of the first things I did. The supplied cable was a CAT5, which I found odd considing the gigabit connection so I replaced it with a CAT6 cable bu it made no difference.

I am now awaiting a reply from Iomega tech support, I expressed concerns at the initial line I was given about only having the NAS and one other device attached to the network so they said they would look into it. Their support forums seem to be swamped with similar issues so I may just return the drive if I dont get it resolved satisfactorily and get another Linkstation.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hope it goes well. post the results of your call so others will know,

OP
vaughaag
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem now seems to be solved.

I had an email in my inbox this morning from an Iomega support techy that listed a few things to check.

Funnily enough, he advised changing the supplied CAT5 cable to a CAT6...

The email went on and basically said 90% of slow transfer problems are the end users own network but then advised switching off most of the devices services. I was not keen on doing this as I did not understand why I should disable services the device is advertised as having.

However, I switched them off one by one, reset the box and did a few trial transfers and I found that by disabling the Bluetooth service, the speed increased a little but when I disabled the Windows File Sharing and DFS services the speed increase was massive.

So to sum up, I have disabled the Bluetooth, Windows File Sharing and DFS service and am now able to use the device as I expected to be able to.

Having these services disabled is no big loss to me as we only have Windows devices attached to the network when friends come round.

Thanks again for the replies and I hope this helps anyone else that may have this issue.

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.