Need help with the location of iTunes music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I had to install a new drive. When I tried to restore my music library from my Time Machine backup, it didn't copy all of the files over. So after seeing some of the songs say "can't be located", I linked them to the backup drive.

So now a bunch of my library is connected to an external source. When I eject that source, the songs aren't available.

Is there an easy way to copy those songs to my main library and make them local? Without having to do it manually? Like a single command or function that copies all songs to the same location?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I don't know if you can one click restore a previous library but the location of the music iTunes uses on the internal drive is in Finder - Music - iTunes - iTunes Media - Music.

On the Time Machine backup drive, the location of the media is Backups.backdb - (computer name folder) - (Pick any date folder) - Macintosh HD - users - (user name folder) - Music - iTunes - iTunes Media - Music.

You can try copying all of the previous library on your external drive to the music folder on the internal drive.

You can also try tinkering around in iTunes by going to File - Library - Organize Library and tinkering around there. There's a consolidation option you can try out. Maybe if the external drive is connected and you're running off of that, try consolidating it through that feature onto the internal drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.