Macbook won't stay in sleep mode or powered off

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2007 Macbook running OSX 10.6.3, which is displaying the following symptoms:

• Automatically re-awakens from sleep after 3-4 seconds (lid open or shut, running from battery or mains)
  • Won't stay turned off for more than 3-4 seconds - automatically powers back up (unless mains cable removed, although battery is charged)
  • USB ports not charging devices

I have tried the following cures, per advice from various articles, all to no effect:

• Reset the SMC
  • Cleared print queues, deleted all printers from "Printers & Faxes"
  • Deleted com.apple.PowerManagement.plist & com.apple.AutoWake.plist from harddrive/library/preferences/systemconfig.
  • Rebooted & tested in safe mode
  • Disconnected Wi-Fi & all external devices
  • Unchecked "Wake for ethernet network access" in Energy Saver
  • Repaired disk permissions

If anyone has anything further I can try before I take this somewhere for costly repairs, I'd be most grateful - thanks!

Simon

Reaction score
What all 3rd party software do you have installed in the machine .
You may have a virus that has written its own permissions or .plist
It sounds more like a software problem if the smc reset didn't fix it.

This is usually a problem when you have restart or wake upon a power failure selected.
If the smc is out of wack it can sense sleep or a power down as a failure and restart it self.
If your sure the smc reset took then I would look into a virus scanner or go through you 3rd party apps and start deleting them till you solve it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have a virus that has written its own permissions or .plist
It sounds more like a software problem if the smc reset didn't fix it.

There are no viruses in the wild that can infect a Mac so we know it isn't that...

Read our virus Sticky at the top of the Switcher forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lol I consider malware to be a virus.

You can consider whatever you wish, but that does not make it true. Please do not tell our members they have a virus. If you think it's malware, then say so.

OP
J
Reaction score
Cheers guys, I'll see if ClamXav uncovers anything and get back to you.....

OP
J
Reaction score
OK I did a scan with ClamXav which uncovered some infected files, which I dealt with, still no change with the fault though. Any other ideas anyone?

Reaction score
If the smc reset did not resolve the issue , I suspect the I/O (magsafe) board could be at fault. Since you say the usb ports are not working to charge devices properly , the system is seeing this as a power failure .
Go to system preferences /power settings/ uncheck wake for Ethernet /uncheck automatic startup after power failure. See what that gets you. Also Do the smc reset again then repair disk permissions. since you did find some infected files , it is possible that the infected files modified some of the kexts in system/library/extentions. Running the repair disk permissions may take care of these.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, sorry for delayed reply, holiday season etc, have performed all those checks/fixes and still no change. Do you think its definitely busted?

Reaction score
Other possibility is a bad power button . It may have some crud in it or the piece that keeps it pushed out is broken. Investigate the power button and see if it clicks like it should. A power button is not that expensive and could easily be switched out. I would imagine though if this were the case it would not stay running.

OP
J
Reaction score
SOLVED

Thanks dawson, I did already rule out the power button as an issue since the machine turns off OK (i.e. doesn't automatically switch back on).

Its interesting, I noticed in the schedule area of Energy Saver that the "Start up or wake" box was unchecked, and the previous time I'd entered in there was erased. When I rechecked the box, the laptop now sleeps. I'm not sure if the fact that it won't sleep without that box checked equals a fault of some kind - if so, its one I can live with.

The USB ports not charging turned out to be a red herring - turns out its just my phone - it charges from other computers but not my laptop, but on testing my laptop will charge other devices. Very strange

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.