• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Some users report iPhone 5 battery life issues with iOS 6.0.2

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This just in... some users report "battery life issues" with EVERY minor, incremental update to iOS.

In other words, anytime something changes, there are a significant number of neophytes who assume that change was the cause of a problem that has absolutely no relation.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the reports on the battery life are overblown, but it seems many are reporting a huge decrease in battery life on the new iPhone 5 and iPad mini...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
People like to complain to hear their own voice and try to get their few seconds of fame. I'm with cwa107.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Blah, blah, blah.
I would love to know what device they are using to get these readings. This happens every update like cwa107 posted.
Give up and get on with your life people. There is more to life than complaining. Go get your self a Android device and stop blaming Apple for your short comings

Reaction score
The issues are real. I just got an iphone 5 and after the update, I am losing 1% battery life for every 2 min of use by casually viewing websites (like yahoo or msn) or texting. It's not some ridiculous made up story but a real problem when you check your email and then glance at your battery and find that you lost 2% within 4 min or after you speak to someone for 2 min and see your phone lose 3% juice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The issues are real. I just got an iphone 5 and after the update, I am losing 1% battery life for every 2 min of use by casually viewing websites (like yahoo or msn) or texting. It's not some ridiculous made up story but a real problem when you check your email and then glance at your battery and find that you lost 2% within 4 min or after you speak to someone for 2 min and see your phone lose 3% juice.

Then why isn't my iPhone showing these symptoms ?? Ive been running all the Developer Beta updates and have not had a single problem . . . . Maybe start to look at whats running and isn't on your iPhone ?!?!

Reaction score
Seriously, what is it with you guys? Every time someone has any kind of issue with ANY Apple product the response is: "What problem?", "obviously your own fault", "switch to windows / android" etc. The level of fanboyism on this forum has gone beyond ridiculous. I know some people like to blow small issues way out of proportion, but still..

Just because my iPhone 4 didn't have the antenna issue didn't mean that other people possibly couldn't have experienced it. I am personally waiting with updating to iOS 6.02 because I haven't got any wifi issues, however I have had my share of battery life issues with my old iP4 and know how frustrating it is. I may or may not experience the battery life issues, but it's not worth the risk when there is no potential gain.

You need to work on your attitude. Take TattoedMac's response to oracle301.. He wrote a concrete and relevant response with no "omg Apple sux, give me my money back" to be found anywhere and received that poor response.

Same story every single time a potential flaw is pointed out. Come on..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to work on your attitude. Take TattoedMac's response to oracle301.. He wrote a concrete and relevant response with no "omg Apple sux, give me my money back" to be found anywhere and received that poor response.

First of all, this is one mans opinion, mine, and second of all this seems to happen EVERY time a update come out. Do a search through the forums and you will see that that is the case and in the end, a lot of the time it does come down to the way people are using there iPhone and what they have running in the background, that they real were not aware of . . . . . . My opinion and ill stick by that thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Seriously, what is it with you guys? Every time someone has any kind of issue with ANY Apple product the response is: "What problem?", "obviously your own fault", "switch to windows / android" etc. The level of fanboyism on this forum has gone beyond ridiculous. I know some people like to blow small issues way out of proportion, but still..

Just because my iPhone 4 didn't have the antenna issue didn't mean that other people possibly couldn't have experienced it. I am personally waiting with updating to iOS 6.02 because I haven't got any wifi issues, however I have had my share of battery life issues with my old iP4 and know how frustrating it is. I may or may not experience the battery life issues, but it's not worth the risk when there is no potential gain.

It's because of what passes for journalism now days. A few people have an issue with something, and sites rush to report it as a "problem" and it gets publicity that is far beyond what it actually deserves. Seeing these stories over and over and over gets really old. There's also no fact checking - as was noted in this thread, it's more likely that these "issues" are people who probably have some background app running using up battery and it then gets blamed on the recent update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
I have never really understood how people work this out tbh.

I have an iPhone 5, 4s before that and 4 before that. I use my phone allot and know I run down the battery by using it.... I have a charger at work and in my car because of this.

Personally I have not noticed any change in battery life with any of the iOS 6 updates.

I am afraid that the days of the Nokia 6210, where you charged it once a week and it lasted all week are gone! People who have smart phones must realise that using them, running apps etc will drain the battery.

This is not just an Apple thing either, I work with a guy who has a HTC and a guy who has a GS3. They both play on their phones all day and then moan that they dont have enough battery to call the wife on the way home!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if they were working instead of playing on their phone, they would have plenty of juice left to call their wife on the way home from... work. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.