using MagicJack with MacBook OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
I can't get my magic jack to work with my MacBook laptop. What can I do to get it to work?

Reaction score
Has it ever worked or is this your first time using it on your MacBook?

If it's your first time, it has to be reformatted using Disk Utility.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If it's your first time, it has to be reformatted using Disk Utility.

What exactly do you mean by this? What has to be reformatted?

@OP, what errors are you getting? What have you tried?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MagicJack is a physical device that you plug into your computer and install some software to get it working. This is not an external hard drive you format (or re-format)..

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't understand what any of you mean. I am not a tekkie...
I just gave up on MagicJack customer service, after the third try. At the end of each try, I was unable to send more messages to the technician. ARGHH!
Please, does someone know how to make this work? Or is there anyone out there who knows it won't work and I should quit trying?

Reaction score
MagicJack is a physical device that you plug into your computer and install some software to get it working. This is not an external hard drive you format (or re-format)..

I know what it is. I'm just stating what I recall reading from when I was looking into the MagicJack. I'll search to see if I can find it..

EDIT: No dice on finding that thread.

Reaction score
I no longer use X.6, but I have used my Magicjack with my MBP for several years with no problems. Can you explain exactly what happens when you attempt to run Magicjack? What steps are you taking and at what point does it fail? Does the program launch at all? Do your contacts and call history ever show up?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread indicates that MajicJack should work fine on OS X Snow Leoaprd once you get an upgrade mentioned in this thread.

These threads are from a couple of years ago so you might already have newer software..

What will help us guide you is by you telling us what you've done so far..you plugged the MagicJack into the Mac, then what happened?

OP
E
Reaction score
I have tried downloading 3 different links that the MagicJack customer service people suggested to me. And I unplugged the MJ device for 2 minutes after each download and then plugged it back in. No change.
I then tried the link that is suggested by someone else on this forum, but that didn't work either.
I can make outgoing calls from my computer (on "headset" setting) but not from my phone (even when on "telephone" setting). When I try making a call from my cordless phone, I get a local dialtone and the Mexican operator says it's a non-existent number. When I check back on the MJ menu, the toggle is still set on "telephone."
Does this help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.