Smart Cover cracked screen.

Reaction score
Had my ipad 2 for two years now, it's out of warrantee and has no apple care.
I had a Smart Cover (poly) for all that time but in October it did something weird to my ipad, it pushed the metal back in at the point where the metal magnets meet the side of the ipad, and on the corner the metal bit came apart from the bezel.
Yesterday, I was just watching a film on it, on my chest, picked it up to put it away and noticed the screen had smashed on the same side where the cover did the damage, I'm convinced it was the cover that caused all of this damage.
I've never dropped my ipad, only carried it in a bag, which it should be able to withstand.
My question is, do I have anything against apple here or will I have to fork out the cash? (I'm in the uk)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is, do I have anything against apple here or will I have to fork out the cash? (I'm in the uk) Thanks

You'll likely have to pay for the repairs. Apple will see that as accidental damage which is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You'll likely have to pay for the repairs. Apple will see that as accidental damage which is not covered under the warranty or extended Apple care.

I just bought another iPad Mini today with Apple care. Apparently it now does cover accident damages. Drops, water spillage etc but with some small disclaimer stuff in the fine print. >_>"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, they started that when they released the iPad 3 back 6 months ago. The caveat is that you must buy the accidental coverage at the same time you buy the iPad. IOW, you can't wait till later. I bought it for mine at the same time I bought my iPad 3. I believe there's a deductible and you can only use the coverage twice.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Actually, they started that when they released the iPad 3 back 6 months ago. The caveat is that you must buy the accidental coverage at the same time you buy the iPad. IOW, you can't wait till later. I bought it for mine at the same time I bought my iPad 3. I believe there's a deductible and you can only use the coverage twice.

Yep that's the small disclaimer stuff. It's 49.95 or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Can you post pics of it? I honestly don't understand how the cover can smash the screen on its own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.