How to hide hard drive partitions from desktop?

Reaction score
I've just upsized my external drive to 2TB. I have it divided into three partitions - one for my ProTools sessions, one for general use, and another as startup drive clone for my MBP.

If at all possible i'd like to have the startup clone partition hidden from desktop view. Can this be done without a major exercise?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll have to hide the entire hard drive from appearing on the desktop in order to hide a single partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Would it be a solution to unmount the startup drive clone partition ?

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could probably do that but if he uses it for backup purposes for say, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, it would have to be mounted each time.

Personally, I do not hide any of my external drives as it's easier that way with cloning software and Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I do that all the time and mount the partitions I need when required and unmount them when no longer needed.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
You'll have to hide the entire hard drive from appearing on the desktop in order to hide a single partition.

Not at all. I worked out what needed to be done - go to the Applescript utility with this code:

tell application "Finder"
set name of disk "Untitled" to ".Untitled"
quit
delay 1
launch​
end tell

Obviously, substitute the word Untitled for the name of your drive/partition as seen on the desktop (in my case, Untitled --> MBP Startup Clone). It'll hide the selected partition from the desktop, but the partition is still readily accessible from Disc Utility. The other two partitions are unaffected. Problem solved ;D

Edit - If you want the partition to be visible again, use the same code as above, but flip "Untitled" and ".Untitled" around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.