Can't start my g4 and don't have Installer disc

H

Heavy Manners

My G4 crashed when trying to install Cubase and now i can't boot up, i just get the flashing question mark. I've tried starting and holding down x and resetting the PRAM etc but nothing happens. I think my only option is to start up from the Installer Disc but the problem is, I seem to have lost that discs!

If i get hold of a copy off someone else will i be able to use it to boot up? Will i need some kind of password? Or do i need to use my original installer disc?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. its OS X 10.2.8

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Normally when you see the flashing question mark. You may have one of two problem. Either you have a corrupted OS/file system or a hard disk failure. If you can get a copy of disk warrior. You use it to check for file system problem. If there is one, it wil fix it. As for seeing if you have a hard disk failure, you need some type of bootable media. You you can check to see if there is a hard disk to boot from.

Reaction score
Their is no information on the start-up disk that would relate to your computer so using a different one will not be a problem. You'll need the passwords that you have set yourself for your system when you installed last.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.