Erased Hard drive

Reaction score
i really need help. My macbook air was having problems, certain apps like pages would constantly give me the beach ball of death and it would not leave. In pages case every time i would right-click it would freeze and the beach ball would come up. I decided to erase my hardrive hoping it would solve the problem but now i can't start my computer. It's a macbook air so i can't insert the disk and i didn't exactly purchase mountain lion on my apple id so i can't reinstall the software. i seem to have hit a dead end please help me.:[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X was on your Air and how did you erase the hard drive?

OP
M
Reaction score
osx mountain lion which i did download illegaly, which i regret doing now, i erased after i held command and r when turning on and it brought me to a reboot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. Let's forget about the illegal download, I believe you've learned the pitfalls of that.... Give Apple customer service a call at 1-800-MY-APPLE and order Lion on a flash drive. The other option is to use an external optical drive to perhaps boot the machine with a Snow Leopard DVD which you can buy from Apple for $19.99. You didn't mention which MBA you have, therefore I don't know if Snow Leopard can be used. Which version of OS X originally came with your MBA?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your MBA came pre-installed with Lion, then you can't install Snow Leopard. Do you have an Apple ID? If you do, you may be able to download Lion without having to pay for it again. In any event, you probably need to call Apple at the number I provided above and find out what your options are.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that's only temporary because you erased the SSD in your MBA. Once you install Lion again everything will return to normal. After Lion is installed, you can then purchase Mountain Lion from the App store for $20.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks i called apple and they told me to bring it into the apple store and that they could reinstall mountain lion for me. Thanks for your help it realy was usefull.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.