airport to boost wireless signal

Reaction score
I have a Comcast modem/router combo, the Aris. The signal is weak, our walls are thick. I purchased an airport and was told at Best Buy the settings are simple from my iPhone or ipad. I was told to plug it in in a room away from the router and go to the wi-fi settings on the phone or iPad. Then I'm lost. Can you help?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't think I've heard anyone get correct technical advice from anyone at Best Buy..but anyway..

The Airport you bought, assuming it's the Express, can only extend a wireless network created by another Apple router (either the Airport Express or Airport Extreme). It will not extend any other router's network.

I currently have a FiOS router in the basement with it's wireless turned off, an Airport Extreme connecting to it with a wire and creating a wireless network that is being extended throughout my house by an Airport Express on the 1st floor..

if you do have all Apple routers, you need to use Airport Utility and connect to the Airport Express, for example, and there will be an option to "Extend this network" when it sees the network created by another Apple router..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is it that you're trying to do? And how are you wishing to use the "airport"? Also, you're going to have to provide us with more information.

Airport: Which model did you buy? Airport Express Base Station, or Airport Extreme Base Station?

You stated you have an iPhone and iPad. Do you also have a Mac or a PC?

Regarding the Comcast modem\router combo, is it located in the center of your house or apartment? And what happens if you move your Mac closer to the modem\router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.