External HD and Time Machine?

Reaction score
Greetings,

I think this is a basic question but couldn't quite find the answer. We have 2 MacBook Pros from 2009 and 2010. We had a hard drive on which we used the proprietary software but the drive got flaky after too many moves. We never tried using Time Machine. Ready for a new drive and this time we'll be using Time Machine because it looks easy. Will Time Machine work with any Mac-compatible HD that we buy?

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will work with just about any hard drive. The caveat is that the drive must be formatted to the Mac OS Journaled file system. Which means you can purchase a drive formatted to FAT-32 or NTFS (Windows) and reformat it with your Mac (Disk Utility) and it will work with Time Machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the clear response. One followup question, since I've never used Time Machine. Does it work well if it's not always connected? We have 2 MacBook Pro's and intend to use the new hard drive/Time Machine on both of them. As I read the info about Time Machine it sounds as though it expects to be on all the time.

Again, many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will work just as well when it's connected only when needed or connected at all times. However, you have to make sure you're not forgetful about making your backups! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.