• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP: Want to share big file without jumping through hoops!!!!

Reaction score
HELP: Trouble Sharing File via SD card

I'm trying to copy an (approx.)11GB Quicktime (.MOV) video file that I just finished working on in iMovie to a 16GB SDHD card which is uses FAT32 and get this message ever time:

"The item “Video File” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format"

I want copy this particular file so I can pass it on to someone who most likely has Windows (unsure of which version) PC. I would greatly appreciate any solutions to this particular problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
FAT32 has a max file limit size of 4 GB.

The only real solution if you only have access to a Mac is going to be purchasing Paragon's NTFS for Mac - $20.

This software not only will give you write access to NTFS partitions, but will also enable Disk Utility to format NTFS volumes. You should then be able to format the card as NTFS.

The other solution is to format the card as OS X Extended (Journaled) and have them grab Paragon's HFS for Windows.

Transferring a movie file that size to SD card via USB, I'd also make sure to verify it's all there and playable after the copy process has completed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Computers: Big on rules. Short on mercy.
Rules... the one thing that defines an os and the experience it offers.

Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the Macintosh PC's multimedia handling capabilities - but when it comes to file transfer (particularly between systems) the MAC is down right useless by having a 4GB file size limit when copying to FAT32 media.
So a note to Apple - Ditch this restriction on your next update or version for the OS!!!

I posted this one before... I have file that is roughly 11GB that I need to pass on to someone who most likely has Windows and a FAT32 storage option that has more than enough capacity to hold it all... Without wasting hard-earned cash on software I won't use 100% of the time, can someone give me a straight up solution to this problem?

This one reason why I regard MAC second to Linux - flexible as it is efficient!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the Macintosh PC's multimedia handling capabilities - but when it comes to file transfer (particularly between systems) the MAC is down right useless by having a 4GB file size limit when copying to FAT32 media.
The 4GB limit is a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem and has nothing to do with OS X. If you want to blame someone, blame Microsoft since it's their filesystem.

I posted this one before... I have file that is roughly 11GB that I need to pass on to someone who most likely has Windows and a FAT32 storage option that has more than enough capacity to hold it all... Without wasting hard-earned cash on software I won't use 100% of the time, can someone give me a straight up solution to this problem?
Use a better filesystem or break the file up into pieces. You could add write support for NTFS to OS X but I'll let someone else jump in for that one (having never done this myself).

This one reason why I regard MAC second to Linux - flexible as it is efficient!
I think this might need some correction in light of your misconceptions about OS X and the FAT32 filesystem. ;)

EDIT: gsahli's fingers are quicker than mine!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Linux cannot write an 11 GB file to a FAT32 partition either.

Nor can Windows.

Nor does there exist any operating system that can write a single 11 GB file to FAT32.

(Merged the two threads together also.)

And if whomever you're sending the file to has installed Windows within the last 10 years, they will have the NTFS file system on their computer, not FAT32.
However, Windows, the same as OS X, will be able to access that file system.
If they do have FAT32 on their Windows machine, they also, will not be able to copy an 11 GB file to their drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.