Buying @ Best Buy vs. The Apple Store

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Varying opinions on that one. You're going to get the same machine whether you purchase it at Best Buy or at an Apple store. The difference in my opinion is the quality and knowledge of the sales people and after purchase service. I prefer purchasing at my local Apple store which is conveniently located about 20 minutes from my home.

Also, if you have Apple gift cards they can not be used at Best Buy to purchase Apple products. You can only use them at an Apple store or the Apple on line store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any disadvantages to buying a Mac at Best Buy vs The Apple Store?

The only disadvantage I can think of buying from Best Buy vs. the Apple Store...is the sales employees at the Apple Store are probably MUCH more knowledeagble.

But if you have no questions...and you're ready to buy...I can't think of any advantage/disadvantage either way. No matter where the new Macintosh computer is purchased...the 12 month Applecare is still fully honored at any Apple Store.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Beat me by 3 minutes Charlie!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Can't speak for all Best Buy stores, but the one near me has certified apple technicians (not necessarily sales people) at their Apple sales counter area.

that being said, I have bought neither of my Macs from a brick and mortar. I got mine online from apple. I did get my first iPad (1) at Best Buy (they had a $50 off promo) and my 2nd iPad (3) at the Apple Store. Personally, since the warranties are the same, it really doesnt matter if you know what you want walking in and have done the research beforehand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
The only advantage to buying at the apple store is if you can qualify for the apples for education discount. It does not have to be a student- do you know anybody that works in any capacity for a school? I saved 50.00 off my iMac and 50.00 off my applecare - I just had to drag my hubby to the apple store- If I ordered online, I would have just had to borrow his ID badge #- not every school applies so you have to go to the site and put in the school name and see

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
BB is good if you know exactly what you want, know exactly how much it will cost, know that they currently have it in stock and have zero questions for the worthless sales people. Those are the only conditions under which I will buy anything (not just Apple products) from BB. If you don't have those 4 things, go to an Apple store.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I had the same question until I realized Apple had a government discount that applied to retired military. Will save me about $300 over the same configuration at regular price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Some of the pluses of buying at BB are reward zone points and higher buy back of older gear.
Pluses of Apple Store are iTunes gift cards and refurbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
i like to use best buy gift cards purchased from the local grocery store.. then i get fuel points towards free gas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I had the same question until I realized Apple had a government discount that applied to retired military. Will save me about $300 over the same configuration at regular price.

Wish this was the same in Australia.
That should be a world wide thing IMO

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Brent:

Apple actually has a different on line web site here in the US for authorized purchasers; active duty, retired military, and government workers. However, the US military stores - Army, Air Force and Navy exchanges sell the same Apple products at those same discounted prices. Another advantage of buying from the military stores is no local or state sales tax is charged. It's too bad Apple in Australia does not do the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.