Apple TV & VLC Media Player

Reaction score
I'm using VLC to view home videos (copied from a DVD) but I cannot get mirroring/airplay to show these on the TV. Any suggestions on how to get this working? (iTunes library and airplay for iPad and other programs on MacBook Air work fine - just can't get the videos to show.) Btw, I'm having the same problem with Quick Time Player 7. There seems to be a longer than acceptable lag in the refresh rate on the TV - even for other screens (i.e., this one)

Is there a compatibility issue with Apple TV purchased in Italy and a MacBook Air purchased in US? I believe the SONY TV was purchased either in Italy or Switzerland...Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello chsirt and welcome,

I understood that the movies need to be in your iTunes library and be saved in one of the formats compatible with ATV specifically H.264, MPEG-4 and M-JPEG. I don't think that purchasing you ATV in Europe will make a difference

There is some more detailed info here Apple - Apple TV - View technical specifications for Apple TV.

You may be able to use VLC to convert your files to H.264 and MPEG-4 audio using the 'Transcode/Save to File' and get them into iTunes that way.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks - this is very helpful. I'll try the VLC conversation suggestion - maybe I'll get that family video on the screen for Christmas after all!

C

chas_m

Later iPad models (and Mountain Lion for OS X) can mirror to an Apple TV, making it possible to use any program to view things via Airplay (such as VLC). There's obviously no VLC for iPad but I use another program called GPlayer that works fine for that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Appreciate the tip on GPlayer - hadn't seen that one yet and will check it out.

Reaction score
Yes you are right - there's no air play rectangular box to click within VLC, as Chas M says you need to mirror to the ATV - I initially had the same issue - I had to disable "lost watch" to prevent it going into screen saver mode 30 mins into the film :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.