External cd/dvd drive help

Reaction score
I have just purchased a Samsung SE-208 AB external disk drive for my Macbook Air (which is compatible to Mac and even approved by Apple) but whenever I connect the USB cables it doesn't register the drive in the Finder side bar.

I am trying to upload music to iTunes but it has only worked on a couple of cd's but won't acknowledge 99% of the cd's I have put in.....

I did try downloading Firmware from Samsung but that didn't help either.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've seen a few people having issues with the 'compatible' Samsung drive.
After trying firmware updates, dual ended cable connected to ensure sufficient power I'm afraid the only solution I've seen is to return it and get the Apple SuperDrive

Unless others can come up with something new.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

We purchased the USB extension because we thought it might have been that and still had the issues.

We have come to the same conclusion, the wife is in the process of sorting out the return.

Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use a Samsung SE-208 with no problems at all. Purchased a cheap on/off USB powered hub which remains connected to the iMac permanently, and connect the two USB leads from the Samsung to the hub, hit the on button and away we go.

OP
P
Reaction score
Use a Samsung SE-208 with no problems at all. Purchased a cheap on/off USB powered hub which remains connected to the iMac permanently, and connect the two USB leads from the Samsung to the hub, hit the on button and away we go.

It looks as though you have an iMac, do you also have a Macbook Air? From what I have read of other people's issues it is the Air users that were unable to fix the problem.......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks as though you have an iMac, do you also have a Macbook Air? From what I have read of other people's issues it is the Air users that were unable to fix the problem.......

You're correct. Harry has an iMac, and I likewise with using the same Samsung external drive that works fine. The MBA is a different beast and requires the proprietary optical drive provided by Apple in order to work properly. I believe there are several other external drives that are compatible but the cost is around the same. I would order the Apple drive and be done with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.