How to install windows on iMac using a USB flash drive?

Reaction score
I had tried to install windows 7 on my imac running os lion through a bootable usb as it's superdrive is broken.
Firstly I created the bootable usb of windows 7 from my friend's laptop using the instructions on this website

How to Create a Windows 7 Installation USB Drive | Windows.AppStorm ion-usb-drive/

but bootcamp would raise an error saying disk could not be found. So I modified the info.plist file from bootcamp package contents and created an iso of the bootable usb drive. Bootcamp then allowed to create a windows install usb through the iso and partitioned the hard disk too but after doing so the computer restarted with a black screen and a message ' insert boot disk and press any key'. Now I've deleted the windows partition and really need help installing windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And be aware Windows 7 will require activation and will not activate if it is installed on your friend's laptop. Have seen the copy activate asnd the original install become marked as none genuine.

OP
N
Reaction score
I followed all the instructions from this blog

Installing Windows on a Macbook Pro without a Superdrive | Bagel Belly Blog

Everything worked well upto the point when I had to shut down vmware and reboot using refit which I did successfully too...but then windows opened and the last part of the setup was completing, then it restarted again. Again the refit showed up, I selected windows, the logo came and then the screen went blank....I waited for quite sometime hoping something would show up but unfortunately nothing happened...the screen was stuck on the black screen ...since I was so close to installing it, I just hope there's a solution for this problem...plz help me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your best course is probably replacing the optical drive and buying your own Windows 7 CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.