Time Machine Running VERY SLOW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.8GHz i5 16GB RAM - Macbook Pro 2.66 Ghz i7 8GB Ram
I am using a 2 TB G-Drive for Time Machine.

I've been getting "disk full" messages for some time and the drive is is currently showing 47 GB free.

Today (at least that's the first I noticed it,) Time Machine is running VERY SLOW.

Looking at the drive the light with flash bright about once every 3 or 4 seconds.

Looking at the Time Machine status, it has been trying to backup 30 GB for several hours and has only backed up less than 10 GB.

My question is could this be caused by the drive being full or could it be the drive is about to go out.

In either case, if I get a new (larger) drive, will I be able to retrieve older files from this drive if necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It shouldn't be running that slow. I've come close to filling up an external hard drive with Time Machine backups several times but it has never slowed TM down. The drive could be failing. Do you have another you can try in its place?

Also, good to see someone else on here that's from Fort Worth. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.