Mac Mail can't access SMTP server for hotmail

Reaction score
I can't send emails from my hotmail account. Run the connection doctor and it can connect to my other microsoft exchange account, my hotmail POP account but not SMTP.

Was working fine up until a day ago. Anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you're telling us is that you can receive mail (PoP) but can't send (SMTP)? Have you tried accessing Hot Mail from the web to see if you can send? And while you're there you might want to directly change your password to see if that makes a difference.

OP
C
Reaction score
What you're telling us is that you can receive mail (PoP) but can't send (SMTP)? Have you tried accessing Hot Mail from the web to see if you can send? And while you're there you might want to directly change your password to see if that makes a difference.

Yeah exactly I can receive emails no problem, but can't send them. Have logged onto the web and can receive and send emails through hotmail online as well. So guess its a problem with mail.

Reaction score
Mail inability to access hotmail SMTP server

I have exactly the same problem connecting to the Hotmail SMTP server from Mail on my Macbookpro and my iMac. Both are running Mountain Lion and both have been happily working with Hotmail until very recently ( a couple of weeks ago). However, my IPAD connects without trouble. I've checked the SMTP settings on the two Macs and they are fine. I've posted questions on the Windows forum and drawn a blank (moderator directs me to contact Mac support).
I can access other email accounts from Mail to send and receive, so it's connecting with Hotmail that's the problem.

NB If I go onto the web to access Hotmail, I can send and receive without any problem.

Ideas gratefully received.

Reaction score
Solution

I have been having this issue as well with my hotmail "junk"account. So today I logged in through Hotmail and changed my password, I then went into my Mac mail and deleted my hotmail and went to the SMTP list and cleaned that up (hotmail was still there plus duplicates of everything) Then I re-added my hotmail account with new password and it works now.

Hope this helps
Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.