Sharing pictures folder between user accounts

Reaction score
Hi, sorry to ask a probably silly question but how do you share the standard pictures folder of one account with another? I have got as far as enabling file sharing in preferences, selected read/write along side the user name to share with, and the folder comes up when logged in as the shared user unlocked. When I try to open the files within the folder though they are all still locked. I thought sharing that folder would automatically share the contents?

Thanks for you help.

OP
R
Reaction score
Has nobody else had this problem? In the users account where the pictures are I goto 'Apple', system preferences, sharing, select file sharing as on, add the standard pictures folder, under users I add myself with read/write.

Log out and go into my adminstrator account, goto HDD, users, pictures (which is unlocked), I can see the file names in that folder but no preview and I cannot open.

If I add a file into this folder from my account it can be read from both.

I know this is probably boring or simple to you all but any help would be much appreciated, the wife has an iphone which she backs up in her account, I need to backup her pictures to a NAS through my account (parallels, xp, synctoy). If the kids pictures are lost I'm not going to be popular.

Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
Found something out, if I go into the users account I want the picture access, I have to select the pictures, goto get info, sharing then add myself (administrator). As I have shared the folder, why is my account not already there for the files?

The folder is shared so whats the point in having to then select 'share' for every file within it? I've tried adding a new file incase its because the existing files were there before I started this sharing but it acts the same, goto get info and my name is not in the sharing section. No access from my account unless I change the sharing for the individual file.

Please tell me I am missing something obvious, cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Found something out, if I go into the users account I want the picture access, I have to select the pictures, goto get info, sharing then add myself (administrator). As I have shared the folder, why is my account not already there for the files?

The folder is shared so whats the point in having to then select 'share' for every file within it? I've tried adding a new file incase its because the existing files were there before I started this sharing but it acts the same, goto get info and my name is not in the sharing section. No access from my account unless I change the sharing for the individual file.

Please tell me I am missing something obvious, cheers.

If I am understanding your question correctly the permissions were changed on the folder and the change did not apply itself to files within the folder. This is standard behavior for OS X since great harm can be done if the permissions on certain files are altered.

I think either if the following will solve your problem. I personally would choose the first method.

1. In the Users folder of your hard drive is a user folder called "SharedI". If you drop the photos there I am pretty sure they will be seen by other users. have not tried it with storing things like iPhoto libraries but it should work

2. The second option is an extension of what you are currently doing. Make sure you only do it with user files not system files. Change permissions on the folder as you were doing. At the bottom of the Get Info Window just below where you enter the user names is an icon that looks like a gear with an arrow pointing downward. Click there and choose "Apply to Enclosed Items".

These two methods are good if the files are spread among user accounts on the same machine and will only be accessed by one person at a time. For other situations put them on some type of network drive or drive where the computer is always on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.