iphoto straighten and add text

Reaction score
I have just imported about 10,000 photos into iPhoto. I want to straighten many of them and add text to them. Most of them need cropping, retouching and so forth. But I have a problem:

I can straighten in iPhoto, but not Preview.

I can add text in Preview, but not in iPhoto.

How can I do both in one pass, resulting in only one saved final image?

Can it be done with standard Apple software, or do I need to buy some third party software?

If so, what is the easiest to use and gives the best results?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It make take some study and playing around, but Preview is a very powerful and capable editting program that should be able to do just about all you want.
Mac Basics: Preview

OP
A
Reaction score
straighten image in preview

If Preview is the only Apple option for adding text to a photo image, then how do I straighten that same image in Preview? Have been through all the screens and tutorials, and it does not seem to have that capability. Am I missing something?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not at my Mac to check, so I can't verify or give you step by step right now, but I distinctly remember (at least I think I do) with earlier versions of Preview you could access Rotating the Image incremently instead of 90 degrees at a time. I think you held the Option Key when selecting Rotate or something like that.

Anyway, providing I remember, when I get home I will have a look.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks so much for responding to this thread...I tried the rotate key in Preview with each of the following keys: fn, control, option, command and return.... no effect on the 90 degree rotation.... still trying to straighten and add text to the same photo....any other ideas?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it isn't free, but Pixelmator (available from the Mac APP Store) is inexpensive and will do just bout anything Photoshop can do.

EDIT: OKAY. In pixelmator, from the Menu choose Edit>Transform If you move the cursor off to the right (or left) of the image you can click and drag to rotate any desired angle. Click Save when done.

EDIT2: I'm home and on my Mac. Found the reference for doing incremental rotation in Preview by using the Option Key, but it dated from 2005. And, when I just now tried it, it didn't work. Oh well . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 to Mike's recommendation to use Pixelmator. It's inexpensive ($14.99) and can be used in place of the iPhoto editor to edit your photos. Very easy to use and has on line video tutorials.

Reaction score
You can use Preview, or any editor you like, from inside iPhoto by setting it up as your external editor. Go to iPhotos Preferences and under the Advanced tab change "Edit Photos:" to Preview or other editor. When you want to straighten a photo Right click on the photo and choose "Edit in iPhoto" make your change and then Right click again on the photo and choose Edit in Preview". After the edit in Preview be sure to select Save from Previews File menu and it will be saved back into iPhoto.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use Preview, or any editor you like, from inside iPhoto by setting it up as your external editor. Go to iPhotos Preferences and under the Advanced tab change "Edit Photos:" to Preview or other editor. When you want to straighten a photo Right click on the photo and choose "Edit in iPhoto" make your change and then Right click again on the photo and choose Edit in Preview". After the edit in Preview be sure to select Save from Previews File menu and it will be saved back into iPhoto.

Outstanding idea. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pixelmator is better. No fuss, no muss, no cuss, and no flip flopping once it's set as your external editor. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.