iPhoto - Importing

Reaction score
I have some photos on my Macbook Air (in iPhoto) that I'd like to put on my Macbook Pro (into iPhoto).

Is there a way to email them from the Air to the Pro, and then put them into Pro's iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I have some photos on my Macbook Air (in iPhoto) that I'd like to put on my Macbook Pro (into iPhoto).

Is there a way to email them from the Air to the Pro, and then put them into Pro's iPhoto?

Hi,
That would probably be one big email :) If you did email them you can drag the files onto the iPhoto icon in the dock and it will put them into the library.

Alternatively you could put them on a USB STICK and then drag them into iPHOTO that way or you can use migration assistant and cable your Mac's together.

C

chas_m

By "USB," Pendlewitch means "a USB flash drive" in case that wasn't clear. And "iPhoto" rather than "iTunes."

Migration Assistant does not allow you to "specify the photos that you need to come across" so that is not a tenable solution.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,
That would probably be one big email If you did email them you can drag the files onto the iPhoto icon in the dock and it will put them into the library.

Right ..., Maybe I could do a few at a time, and see if the import time is semi reasonable.
There's not a ton of pics to go over.

or you can use migration assistant and cable your Mac's together, just specifying the photos that you need to come across and nothing else.

Cabling with the Migration Assistant (usb to usb) ..., that's a good idea.

I also just read that I can use my wireless network (Airport Extreme) to bring them over ..., Have you heard of this way too?

Thanks.

C

chas_m

The fastest and easiest way to do what you want is this:

1. Select the photos you want to move in your MacBook Air's copy of iPhoto.
2. Resize the iPhoto window so that you can see the USB thumb drive you've plugged in.
3. Drag the photos from iPhoto to the drive.
4. Eject the drive, *don't* just pull it out!!
5. Insert the drive into the MacBook Pro.
6. Drag the photos from the drive into iPhoto.

OP
C
Reaction score
Migration Assistant does not allow you to "specify the photos that you need to come across" so that is not a tenable solution.

Right .., thanks.

By "USB," Pendlewitch means "a USB flash drive" in case that wasn't clear. And "iPhoto" rather than "iTunes."

I could purchase a flash drive - not a big deal - But I do have some DVD-R's here at the house. Can I copy the Air photos to one of them, and then insert/import into the Pro?

C

chas_m

Yes, you could do that. Just drag the photos into the mounted blank DVD-R. Right click on the disc and choose the burn option.

OP
C
Reaction score
The fastest and easiest way to do what you want is this:

1. Select the photos you want to move in your MacBook Air's copy of iPhoto.
2. Resize the iPhoto window so that you can see the USB thumb drive you've plugged in.
3. Drag the photos from iPhoto to the drive.
4. Eject the drive, *don't* just pull it out!!
5. Insert the drive into the MacBook Pro.
6. Drag the photos from the drive into iPhoto.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation!

OP
C
Reaction score
Just drag the photos into the mounted blank DVD-R. Right click on the disc and choose the burn option.

Will the mounted blank DVD-R (and the disc) be an icon sitting in the Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
No, it should appear on the Desktop.

OP
C
Reaction score

Purchased a USB flash drive today, and took the pics off the Dell, into the MBpro, and into iPhoto.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.