• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

remove unwanted noise in iMovie 11

Reaction score
Hi there... I am editing a movie in iMovie 11. As I was shooting my friend's speech, my tripod started sticking and I couldn't get it to loosen up. So, several times during the movie you can hear my tripod making a loud sticking noise when I turn the camera. Is there a way that I can remove just this noise without affecting the volume of the speaker's voice?

I have tried lowering every bar in the equalizer individually and none of them seem to change anything. I have tried lowering the volume bar in just those sections of audio where I have spikes, but I can't grab it precisely enough and it seems to lower the speaker's voice too.

Can I separate out the audio somehow so I can just remove the tripod noise?

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can't isolate noise when the audio is on just a single track.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is there a way to edit the audio into separate tracks? In Garage Band, maybe?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi there... I am editing a movie in iMovie 11. As I was shooting my friend's speech, my tripod started sticking and I couldn't get it to loosen up. So, several times during the movie you can hear my tripod making a loud sticking noise when I turn the camera. I'm told there is no way to isolate this sound and remove it in iMovie.

BUT... if I pull just the audio into Garage Band, is there a way that I can remove just this noise without affecting the volume of the speaker's voice? I have never used GB before so I need someone to explain it to me like I'm 3...

~tasia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
No, because the sound is all mixed up into one track. It would be like having a video of two people and wanting to end up with two videos, each only showing one person in each video.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@tasia:

Please do not cross post or double post. Keep your thread together in one forum and continue posting there until it's closed. I've merged your threads together here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to. I thought that since I found out that I needed to ask the question about Garage Band instead of iMovie, I should post it in the music/audio forum.

Reaction score
same problem

I have the exact situation, clicking noise from noisy tripod... here it is the end of 2013 and a new imovie, is there any way to cancel the annoying clicking noise?? Thanks! btw: I will be lubricating it before my next shoot...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's something that may help but it can't be done in iMovie you will need other audio software. Before you invest much time in this procedure play the clip and listen to see what else is happening in the movie. Listen for a section of the clip where the sticking noise is happening but there isn't much else in the way of noises / sounds.

If you can find that section, even just a second or two, try the following:

1. In iMovie select the entire movie clip. Detach the audio from the video clip.
2. Copy the newly detached audio to the clipboard and paste it into a new file in the audio program
3. Scroll to the section where the unwanted noise appears and select that section of the noise.
4. Still in the audio program select sample noise.
5. Now select the entire sound and choose suppress noise. Do not trim the file or do anything that affects the length of the file.
6. Save the resulting file then import into iTunes and replace the old audio with the new one.

I am using the most recent version of iMovie but I believe other versions have the same commands. The commands from the audio program come from HairerSoft - Audio editor / sound and voice recorder for Mac OS X but other programs have similar features but Audacity is free and I think it has similar features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.