External Drive / Sleep issue

Reaction score
MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Maybe someone has a clue as to what is causing this problem.

External Drive Issue somehow related to waking from sleep.

A clean install of Mountain Lion and then migrated files from my iMac.

If I enable WD security on my external Western Digital My Passport firewire drive, I can access files on that drive.

But, when I put my MacBook pro to sleep then wake it up and try to access a file on the WD drive I get HD related errors such as #50 and #36—or the disk is write protected when I try to open an Adobe Premiere Pro file. I can't open a file or copy a file from that drive. In the info panel for the disk, which has 3 partitions, I did change Staff to read and write. I did try the WD with 1 partition but not help.

For some reason, I'm getting locked out working with files on the WD drive after waking the computer from sleep.

I've spent hours on the phone with WD tech support. After going through their list of tests, they told me that they haven't encountered this issue—and that it seems to be a system sleep related problem.

WD sent me another drive, but it had the same issue.

NOTE: If I disable WD security, then all is well. But, I want the security on for when I'm out with the drive.

What I have done:

1) As a test: This same WD external firewire drive with WD security enabled works fine on my iMac / 10.6.8.

2) Changing user account on MBP has no effect.

3) Starting up in Safe mode has no effect. Issue persists.

4) Tried connecting WD drive with the USB cable, but no help

5) Start up computer, connect WD drive with security on, no apps launched, put to sleep. Wake up and the issue is still there. I remove WD security and try to eject the WD drive to get message that one or more programs may be using that drive.

6) Tuned off Spotlight for the WD drive.

7) Repaired permissions, ran Disk Warrior, and also Disk Utility to verify and repair internal HD.

Any suggestions on fixing this nuisance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you are using Time Machine there is a box you can check to encrypt the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.