?Battery problem iPhone 5 AND what does system reset involve?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have a brand new iPhone 5 and I donated my iPhone 4 (NB Not S) to my wife.

In a comparison between our phones under near identical circumstances, my iPhone 5 shows battery depletion close to double the iPhone 4.

1. Is this exceptional or about right? If excessive:
2. The January Macworld magazine advises solving this by going into settings>general>reset>reset all — but warns that some settings may need to be reset. Question — is the resetting procedure complicated, like does it involve resetting up email and iCloud accounts? Is it worth the hassle?

Thank you for your patience.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi Ian,

It's not exceptional or excessive. Perform a hard reset by pressing and holding the sleep/wake button and the home button together for at least 10 seconds until the apple logo appears. It will go through a reboot cycle and put your phone back in good shape.

I've never had to reset up any accounts at all.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good man, pendlewich.

Prompt and clear advice which sounds a lot less "dodgy" than the Macworld suggestion.

As always, I'm most grateful to you and all those who give up their free time to help us out.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Much obliged Ian:)

The 'Hard' Reset is basically a reboot. There are some specific resets that you can do on the phone but they do involve losing some preferences and settings.

For example:

/Reset All Settings will reset your preferences but not delete any contacts, songs or calendars etc.

Erase all Content and Settings will delete all your information and media. You'll then need to sync your phone with your Mac to put everything back in

Reset Keyboard Dictionary will clear all the words you've added to the dictionary when you've rejected the suggestion whilst typing

Reset Network Settings will do exactly that. It will clear your current cellular and wi-fi settings including any saved networks, wi-fi passwords and VPN settings. You will need to rejoin the networks with the correct passwords.

Have a good Christmas

Liam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.