Book Publishing App?

Reaction score
Hi, all-

I just got my first iPhone: An iPhone 5 16GB, and I'm wondering if you could help me with an app question:

I am an amateur photographer, and as a challenge, I'd like to shoot one photo a day with the iPhone in 2013. At the end of the year, I'd like to collect all the photos, with commentary, and upload the finished 'book' to a publisher.

If possible, I'd like to do everything- photo taking, editing, writing, book layout and uploading to publisher, all with the iPhone. I'm trying to use that one tool for the whole process as a challenge in using a limited set of tools to create the book.

Is there an app out there that will allow one to do book layouts with text/photos, and is integrated with a book publishing service?

Any guidance or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm looking for the impossible here, but the iPHone is such a powerful tool, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of thing has been done many times before.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try "Pages" for iOS. It's available in the iTunes App store for the iPhone and iPad. It's $9.99. Download LINK

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also, iPhoto and Aperture both have templates and convenient publishing access for creating photo books. I've done a couple the last few years and they turned out very well.

C

chas_m

Try "Pages" for iOS. It's available in the iTunes App store for the iPhone and iPad. It's $9.99. Download LINK

Actually, iBooks Author would be a better tool for this, and it's free.

However, books created in iBooks Author can only be sold (or given away if they have a price of "free") on the iBookstore, so if you want to end up with a product that you can sell elsewhere as well, I'd second chscag's suggestion.

Be aware that any "big" publishers (ie not self-publishing) will NOT want you to do this and will have NO USE for your product. They will want the photos and copy and that's all.

If you want to have an actual book (physical) at the end of this project as well as an e-book, look into iUniverse.com for some options

Self-publishing an ebook is also reasonably simple using Pages. Check out Smashwords for a service that will help your e-book get into various e-bookstores.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you all, especially chas_m for your great suggestions. My intention is to find a 'Blurb' type app, where I can design an iPhoneography book and have it available for anyone to order. I don't expect to sell many copies, just family and friends. I will check out all the great apps you recommended, and I will also just think about using a desktop computer to upload everything to Blurb. I may have to be a little flexible with using another device into my workflow. ;~)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
iBooks Author is also my recommendation. I am actually working on a photo log book of my latest trip through Scotland. It is working a peach and with a little patience, you can get stunning results. And it's Free, and written by Apple.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If possible, I'd like to do everything- photo taking, editing, writing, book layout and uploading to publisher, all with the iPhone.!
I think it's safe to say that this is going to be impossible. You'll really need a desktop for this one.

Also note that iBooks Author is going to limit you. If you give it away for free, no problem. If you want to sell it for any cost, you have to distribute it through Apple (source) if you use their format. So, you're going to be stuck with vendor lock-in if you want to sell it at all using the .ibooks format. Be careful about this if you choose to go this route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.