Should I install latest iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I thought it about time I bit the bullet and updated my iPhoto 9 to iPhoto 11 but checking the App Store I note that all recent reviews are pretty damning. Is there something seriously amiss with the latest iPhoto 11? Should I bother with it now or wait for yet another patch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I thought it about time I bit the bullet and updated my iPhoto 9 to iPhoto 11 but checking the App Store I note that all recent reviews are pretty damning. Is there something seriously amiss with the latest iPhoto 11? Should I bother with it now or wait for yet another patch?

For me it depended on my requirements for iCloud/ Photostream integration re. work related site surveys and it's ability to accurately pinpoint the image location and place it in it's exif data along with a map image in the GUI.

The new email function is fun. There are a few other enhancements such as Full Screen events,newer Slideshows and better Facebook integration but I don't use them. I don't think the fundamental image editing tools have changed but I can't understand why people would be damning about it even though it's had a few updates (I'm at 9.4.2)..it's iPhoto...I think Apple realises that most of us only want to take an image so far...my feeling is that that's why it's part of the iLife suite and not too serious and technical.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The recent problems appear to be centered around either the installation process or not being able to access their existing library after update. Looks like these problems have only just started to appear with the update routine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Ok,
I wasn't aware. I do remember the routine informing me that it needed to reconfig my library and that my images would no longer be able to be displayed in older versions of iPhoto but I've not had any problems.

Maybe just lucky? I do a 'Repair Disk Permissions' before and after major updates and there are also some maintenance regimes that you can do in iPhoto if you follow this link iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.