Macbook 13" A1181 won't start up

Reaction score
I searched, but can't find anything.

I have a 2008 13" A1181 2.1GHz Macbook. When I press the power button, the power light goes on and I hear it start to spin up, but about 5 seconds later it turns off, then the power light comes back on and nothing else happens.

Does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

Thanks very much!

Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your recovery install DVD? You didn't give us any other information? Anyway, try booting your MacBook with the DVD and then verify the hard drive using Disk Utility from the DVD.

OP
E
Reaction score
Just tried inserting a disk to see if it would physically load one and it won't, so there's no way to run the utility.

OP
E
Reaction score
You need to hold "C" while booting up the laptop.

No luck, it just keeps doing the same thing as in my original post no matter what I do. I've tried resetting SMC, PRAM, booting to safe mode, booting to disk, with and without the battery.

Could it be bad RAM? I've also tried removing and reseating them, swapping them around and trying to boot with only one, etc. But still the same thing no matter what I do.

Reaction score
symptoms of a bad ram stick
include no video at start up sounds like it wants to start fans spin up check dvd then no display and goes to sleep.
This could be a bad ram stick , a bad socket or one of the ram sticks in not fully inserted into the slot.
Investigate ram . Remove one and try if a no start occurs remove other and replace with the other one. Try this in both slots . If it still refuses to output video could be that the graphics card is shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.