Can't ping printer from iMac

Reaction score
iMac running OS 10.6.8. Printer is HP6180 AIO. Has worked in the past just fine. Printer test to wireless network PASSes. iMac is on same network and working fine on internet. Printer WAS in available printers but showing Offline, but since I couldn't seem to connect to it, I did a reset of printer settings(s) on the iMac and it 'deleted' the printer altogether! The printer then was not showing up list of available printers when I want to Add a Printer. I have since hooked up via USB and 'reinstalled the printer' but when I attempt to do a wireless install, of course, it doesn't see the printer. I've read a number of posts on forums but none seem to get to the root of my problem... the Mac can't see the printer... only the printer. I tried pinging the Printer IP from iMac terminal window and it does not see it. I can ping the wireless router and other devices on the network. I pinged the Printer IP from another wireless PC (Windows) and it found it just fine and it prints from that PC. Print Sharing IS turned on for the iMac, if that matters. I have recycled iMac, Router and Printer power and turned AirPort OFF and back ON. I'll add one more bit of potentially important info... I recently turned OFF a Netgear Extender in my network, although I normally always connected through my main router, not the extender. Still, I can connect to that main router now and all is well except for not seeing the printer and its IP. Anyone understand this? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
The extender could be important or not...
For additional info, can you: Reset the router and try adding the printer again on your Mac.
If still not working, please tell us the IP addresses of everything on your local network.

OP
L
Reaction score
gsahli, how deep of a reset do you mean for the router? I have cycled power, do you mean push a reset button if it has one? Restore to defaults? Since everything else works on the network, I'm not sure how that would help, but I'm open to it. I can get the IPs later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Glad you asked - I just mean restart it by power off then back on.
(some routers need this initial detection to reserve an IP add)
My request for the IPs is because I'm wondering if your repeater created a subnet.

OP
L
Reaction score
OK, I guess by repeater you mean the extender? ... I guess I could Google it... I verified earlier that the subnet for the iMac matches that of the router and printer... they are the typical 255.255.255.0. I don't see a Gateway IP for the Mac in the Network settings. The Router is 192.168.1.1, the Mac is .107, the printer is .105. It's very confounding why the Mac can't see the printer when the PC laptop can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Yes, extender.
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 isn't the same thing as a subnet. A subnet (for example) is where every device has local IP address of 192.168.1.x. In the simplest case, only the x part can change. It sounds like your printer and computers are all in the same subnet.
I don't have any new ideas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.