• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

File conversion for dummy's

Reaction score
Can't find a dummy's section so hoping some of you guys can point me in the right direction here... :Smirk:

I have a .mov file that i want to burn to DVD and play on a standard DVD player through my TV.
It's a straight forward home video - no menu's or 'track selection' chapters etc.

The .mov file is bigger capacity than a standard DVD disc so - i think that means i need to compress it as well (?)
From what little I've been able to work out i may need to convert my .mov file to a .vob (not sure if that's right).

I've been downloading various free rippers/converters/condensers/anything with DVD in the title! etc none of which seem to be able to produce a copy of my .mov file in a format i can stick into my DVD player.

Handbrake and DVD2oneX seem to be the most 'promising' but I may be barking up the totally wrong tree
I get the feeling I may need to use a combination of them but can't figure out what does what!

If anyone can point me in the direction of some suitable software that would be great...
But I'd also appreciate a crash course detailing exactly what steps I should be taking and an outline of what i'm trying to achieve. At the moment although I know what I'd like as the outcome I'm befuddled by the various processes required to achieve it.

Okay, I've donned my asbestos suit and I'm ready to be flamed :Oops:

Cheers - and thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Louishan...
Downloaded a copy and I'm playing with it now... looks really useful - thanks for the pointer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
File size is not that important, Burn will convert/compress as required. The length of the movie is more imortant. You'll get about 1h30m on a single layer dvd, and about twice as much on a dual layer. Burn should ask you for a dual layer if you movie is too long for a single layer disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.