Library Sharing Question

Reaction score
Ok...

I have a Mac Mini. Both me and my chic have our own user profiles on the Mini. And subsequently we both have our own iTunes Librarys/Accounts.

We are currently able to share our Libraries with each other on the Mac Mini. She can play my movies/music and vice versa.

She owns a iPad. It is sync'd with her iTunes account. Her Mac Mini iTunes Library is shared with the iPad. She is able to play music from her Mac Mini to the iPad anywhere we are.

So here is my question.... How come I cant share my iTunes Library with her iPad? Is it possible? Does it matter who is logged in at that moment to the Mac Mini?

I'd love to be able to take the iPad anywhere in the house with me and play a movie from my library. I just dont understand why her Mac Mini iTunes library is shared to her iPad but it wont share my Mac Mini library.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
She should be logged into iTunes with the iPad - with here iTunes account - hence she can play her library. You can log her out -> then log in with your iTunes account - which should make your library available. Generally it is 1 iTunes account per library/iOS device. If you have a family setup then - you setup 1 login for iTunes - 1 login for iCloud. So everyone logs in with the same iTunes account and the personal data separate with a different iCloud account.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
She should be logged into iTunes with the iPad - with here iTunes account - hence she can play her library. You can log her out -> then log in with your iTunes account - which should make your library available. Generally it is 1 iTunes account per library/iOS device. If you have a family setup then - you setup 1 login for iTunes - 1 login for iCloud. So everyone logs in with the same iTunes account and the personal data separate with a different iCloud account.

Log her out of what? Log her out of iTunes on the iPad? Or log her out of the Mac Mini?

I just dont understand why it is that we can share our libraries between users on the Mac Mini, but cannot share thru our home wifi network from the Mac Mini to her iOS device.

When using the iPad, her Mac Mini library is "shared" with the iPad. Why isnt my library as well? The iPad only allows to have ONE library shared with it at a time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Log her out of her itunes account on her iPad. If you want to see your library - you'll have to log into the iPad iTunes account.

The iPad has iTunes which is logged into 1 account. What are you using to access the shared library? Remote? Some other App? Generally the iPad is supposed to be 1 Account per device - whereas the Mac is a multiuser machine. That is just the way they are designed. That being said - all my media is shared between my entire family - but I only have 1 iTunes account for the entire household - so we share Apps and Media.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Log her out of her itunes account on her iPad. If you want to see your library - you'll have to log into the iPad iTunes account.

The iPad has iTunes which is logged into 1 account. What are you using to access the shared library? Remote? Some other App? Generally the iPad is supposed to be 1 Account per device - whereas the Mac is a multiuser machine. That is just the way they are designed. That being said - all my media is shared between my entire family - but I only have 1 iTunes account for the entire household - so we share Apps and Media.

When I open the "music app" on her iPad, there are several buttons on the bottom of the screen. "Playlists", "Songs", "Artists", Albums", and then "MORE"

In the "More" menu their is a option to see "Shared" libraries.

Her iPad library shows up. And her Mac Mini library shows up. (nevermind that both libraries are virtually the same since the iPad is sync'd to her iTunes account on the Mac Mini).

What Im wondering is why my Mac Mini library doesnt show up? Or are you saying it isnt possible. The only way to get it to show up is to log into my account in the iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not have that option. It sounds like an iTunes Match thing? Not 100% sure. That being said - do you have iTunes Match on both accounts - or on any account?

That being said - even iTunes Match or iTunes is generally logged into 1 account / iOS device. I don't know how to say it any other way - if you are logged in with an account on an iOS device on iTunes then you can see everything associated with that account - and only that account. So if you have a different login to iTunes - on the Mac Mini - then to see that Media you have to log into iTunes with that account on iOS.

But from what I can see - if you don't have iTunes match enabled - you won't see the Shared libraries in that More menu (or at least don't have that option and the only thing I do not have is iTunes Match)

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
I do not have that option. It sounds like an iTunes Match thing? Not 100% sure. That being said - do you have iTunes Match on both accounts - or on any account?

That being said - even iTunes Match or iTunes is generally logged into 1 account / iOS device. I don't know how to say it any other way - if you are logged in with an account on an iOS device on iTunes then you can see everything associated with that account - and only that account. So if you have a different login to iTunes - on the Mac Mini - then to see that Media you have to log into iTunes with that account on iOS.

But from what I can see - if you don't have iTunes match enabled - you won't see the Shared libraries in that More menu (or at least don't have that option and the only thing I do not have is iTunes Match)

Nah, its not a Match thing.

I appreciate you trying to answer my question.

Maybe someone else will read this thread and chime in. I'd go to the local Apple store and ask one of the employees there but they would tell me the iPad would toast bread if given the opportunity so Im not sure I'll get an honest answer out of them.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
iOS: Setting up Home Sharing on your device
Here is where that login is - under setup -> music -> home sharing
Try logging in with your iTunes login there.

Home sharing is already activated.

What's weird is that the "Remote" app will let me see any library on my Mac Mini via the iPad3. But the music or video app's wont show my library.

It looks like Im just going to have to sign in and out between our iTune accounts in order to view the two different libraries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.