Using Time Machine across different versions of OSX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. This is my first time moving between different OS with my Mac.

My question is: When I start time machine again, will it overwrite my previous Snow Leopard backups? Or will it create a new backup (sparsebundle file) with only Mountain Lion stuff? Also, if I want to get rid of the snow leopard back ups do I just manually delete the file off of the hard drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
No, it won't overwrite your old backups, nor will it create a new separate backup for Mountain Lion. As far as Time Machine is concerned, it will pick up right where you left off. The change should be completely seamless. There's no need to go in and delete anything on the backup drive.

OP
V
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I did a clean install of Mountain Lion, does that change anything? Or will it still pick up where it left off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I think if you did a clean install, it will treat it as a completely different new backup. I could be wrong though as I've never done a clean install on my machine when upgrading to a new OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.